Default Strange problem - Well Strange to Me That is

Been an interesting two weeks with my Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop - Have had two viscious attacks of malewarer which folks on these forums were gracious enough to help with. and had a strange problem which tech support helped with but that problem is back so I thought I'd throw it out to y'all.
    When I fire up my laptop and click on the shortcut I have to my ISP nothing happens initially. I then checked the start menu/connect to and nothin is listed there - after a few seconds or so my desktop locks up and stays that way for a minute or so then the connect to box appears on my desktop and the items in the start menu/connect to show my connections and all appears normal - this happens every time I turn the laptop on. When I spoke with tech support about it two weeks ago they suggested I do a repair install of XP Home using the restore CD that came with the computer - since the problem mysteriously reappeared I figured I'd asked the experts - any sugggestions?

Best to all and thanks for the help,

Jeff

i would suggest checking the driver for your wireliss card and or modem.
    Being too open minded leads to the brains falling out.

The driver's appear to be fine - reloaded them just to be sure - still ahngs up on startup

ok best thing i can tell you then is to next disable all virus and firewalls try that and post back.

went to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer Check and found the following error message "Symantec Core LC Service Hung Up On Starting - system is ok after about 60-120 secs. I delted Norton Antivirus and the problem is not there - now the Q is - do I try and reload Norton Antivirus or try something else?

Thanks for the help.

Do yourself a favor and don't reload Norton. try AVG 7.0. it is available free and includes regular updates. It is available here
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
    the link for the free edition is on the left side of the page. Charlie

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go for something else for sure. The concensus of the members of this forum is that Norton is more trouble than it's worth. Having said that, there are two programs (both free) that really put Norton and McAfee to shame. They are AVG http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ and Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html .

Just curious why after 9 months of flawless running Norton "Crasehed"??? Thanks for the suggestions.

not certain..maybe an update failed, at any rate norton is junk, im glad that i was of some service