Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble connecting switches to Compaq motherboard

I recently purchased a Compaq 5900T motherboard with 733 CPU processor from Ebay. The problem I have is that the motherboard does not identify each of the 20 pins on the button board for hooking up the :Power SW; Power LED; Reset SW; HDD LED and speaker for a NON COMPAQ ATX Case. Compaq won't come out and identify them even though the motherboard is their 5900T System Board 170390-102. Does anyone have a Compaq computer close to mine and have the pin locations that they would share with me? Compaq uses a single connector that goes over all 20 pins (actually 19 because there is one missing). Since the Compaq ATX case didn't come with the motherboard, my ATX case has 5- two pin connectors as mentioned above but I don't know where to place them on the motherboard-button board. The button board consist of two rows of pins 10 pins in the top row and 9 in the botton row. T :cry: hey are number from 1 through 20 and #9 pin is missing.

are they colour coded on the board? havnt got time to search myself right now but if they are colour coded you may be able to tell wich is which. Google it.

Trial and error is another way. Dont think you can do any harm if you hook them up the wrong way...at least i know ive did that a few times and no harm has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi
    are they colour coded on the board? havnt got time to search myself right now but if they are colour coded you may be able to tell wich is which. Google it.

Trial and error is another way. Dont think you can do any harm if you hook them up the wrong way...at least i know ive did that a few times and no harm has been done.
    Shinobi,
    I'm not sure if the message I sent to your reply was delivered to you. But if it didn't, I hope this makes it to you. Anyway, there are no color codes or identification on the 20 pins except pin#s 1 through 20. I was told by a guy to place my Power SW connector over pins #15 & 16; Power Led connector over pins 8 & 12; and the HDD LED connector over pins 5 & 6. The reset sw and speaker connectors were left off because he had no idea where they would go. When I installed all the parts in the ATX case and hooked up the mouse, keyboard, and monitor to the ATX case and press the starty button, nothing happened. I have a open circuit as if I need the other connectors to be installed or the connectors I did installed are the wrong pins. I'm wondering if someone out there that has a Compaq computer could trace the 20 pin layout and tell me where each pin goes. Any help????

Member Help2Go Moderator

I have yet to find a tech ref for that button board although i can find a place where you can order it for $15.00 USD and have it shipped if you're not too worried about the $

Partie™

P.S. I'll keep looking for some tech refs for the button board jumpers and see what I can come up with.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Alright, now let's not get too excited but I think I have found what you're looking for. out of all the searches I've done and stuff, it seems as though the Compaq 5900t has the FIC SD11 Aspen2 motherboard. Although, on the FIC website (http://www.fic.com.tw) it says it's for an AMD cpu, I compared images of both motherboards and they seem 100% identical. Here are the pinouts for that board and hopefully it is actually the exact one compaq used...the file is too big for me to attach to the post so you can just get it from my site..

http://www.pchelphere.net/h2g/post51018.pdf
    Partie™

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    I have yet to find a tech ref for that button board although i can find a place where you can order it for $15.00 USD and have it shipped if you're not too worried about the $

Partie™

P.S. I'll keep looking for some tech refs for the button board jumpers and see what I can come up with.
    Thank You for your reply. However I'm on a fixed income (social security) and assemble and donate old computers to older people like myself that can't afford it. I would appreciate it if you could find or get a copy of Compaq motherboard-button board layout. I have a suspicion that Compaq standarized that portion of their computer to minimize confusion and someone out there may be able to share this with me. i know I would if I knew. By the way, I see that you displayed USMC. I'm an X Hollywood Marine (1960).

Alright, now let's not get too excited but I think I have found what you're looking for. out of all the searches I've done and stuff, it seems as though the Compaq 5900t has the FIC SD11 Aspen2 motherboard. Although, on the FIC website (http://www.fic.com.tw) it says it's for an AMD cpu, I compared images of both motherboards and they seem 100% identical. Here are the pinouts for that board and hopefully it is actually the exact one compaq used...the file is too big for me to attach to the post so you can just get it from my site..

http://www.pchelphere.net/h2g/post51018.pdf
    Partie™
    PARTIE,
    I was excited but became sad to find that I can't down load your file. I tried it several times and just before the entire file was downloaded a message goes across the screen and reads:"Windows cannot access the specified device,path, file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" Is there any other way I can see that file???? HELP!

Member Help2Go Moderator

Install Acrobat reader (free) from Adobe...it shouldn't actually download to your computer, it should automatically open in internet explorer..

Partie™

Install Acrobat reader (free) from Adobe...it shouldn't actually download to your computer, it should automatically open in internet explorer..

Partie™
    PARTIE,
    This has been a bad day for me. I down loaded Acrobat Reader 6.0 and when I tried to download your email, Adobe reader was recognized but got this message along with 20 blank pages. "AN UNRECOGNIZED TOKEN "RGOO" was found". Don't ask me what that means, but what ever it is , it still won't let me read that email. HELP one more time please.

I also got the same error, 20 blank pages in .pdf

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast