JACOBI

Default printer icons in status bar.

I'VE got 2 printer icons with error marks on them. I right click on them and they are gone only to return the next day. The reason they are there is because I had trouble with my printer. I forgot to say that I click on the close button in the dialoge. Sombody got any ideas?

exactly what is the problem with the printers. Maybe we can fix the problem. Charlie

Hallo JACOBI -Exactly where are the two printer icons? I am assuming you are using only one printer. Go to Start>Control Panel>Double Click 'Printers and Faxes'. Is there more than one printer icon shown? If so, does one of them have a white 'tick' in a black circle? If yes, this one will be set as your default printer and the name alongside the icon should be the printer you are using. You should be able to delete any other printer icons in this window, leaving just the default printer icon. ALL this is assuming you are using only ONE printer. Let us know if this works or not. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Jacobi

Default Icons in status bar with errors

to Galena1 Thanks for the good information,I went to the control panel and I did have an extra printer icon which I deleted. that took care of one icon, but I still have one left in the status bar.I right clicked on it and clicked close,it left but it's back again.Have any more good ideas?
    Jacobi

It sounds like you have a printer program running at start up. Not unusual, many companies think their software is so important that it must run all the time. Click on RUN, then type msconfig in the box and hit enter (or click on OK). Ckick on the tab that says START UP. that will open a window of programs that run on start up. Uncheck the box next to the one that has to do with your printer. You should be able to recognize it as it will probably have the printer manufactuers name or abbreviation of it. Click on APPLY then OK. That will prevent it from starting all the time. It will still start when you want to use your printer. When you restart your computer you will probably get a box telling you that there were changes made. Check the box that says DO NOT SHOW EVERYTIME and it will not come up next time. In the future, when you install a program, you usual get an option to allow or disallow a program to run at start up. It is usually not needed and just wastes your computers resourses running these programs in the background. Charlie

Jacobi

Default error icons in status bar

Charley, Thsnks amillion for getting me staightened out. Taking that check mark away on start up did the trick like magic. No more bad icons in the status bar. I've got to log onto this website,I just visited a couple days ago and will check this site out some more.It' nice to know theirs some knowledgeable people out there.Jacobi is one happy camper

Glad I could help. I think most of us came here first for help, then found out we could learn alot by sticking around. Charlie