Default DVD drive does not go past speeds of 1.5

Installed NEC3500A dual layer drive,no problems with install,drive recognized on W XP HOME ED automatically.
    The problem is that it will only record at speeds of 1.5 times.
    Checked firmware and that is current.
    No problem with what it records,quality is fine.
    I also have an external LACIE DVD drive on USB 2 port and this will run quite happily at speeds of 4 or even 6 times.
    Any ideas on this?

Hi there, a couple of questions which may help our experts:
    What recording software are you using? I have this same
    Dual DVD and use Roxio Creator 7.0 Basic. My record speeds are very happy at 12 - 16.

What are the specs for your computer? Processor, Memory, etc.
    A good horse, strong woman and my .30-.30 rifle. Not much more a man needs. (well, except a computer that is!!)

Member Help2Go Moderator

Check your DMA settings..If you don't know how follow instructions below..

The first thing to do is to right click on “My Computer”. You can use the icon in the Start Menu or the one on the Desktop. Once you have right clicked on it then choose “Properties”.

The next thing to do is to click the “Hardware” tab at the top of the screen. From here you need to hit the “Device Manager” button.

Under device manager you need to find your hard drives. These are normally found under “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers”. Under this you will have a number of items. The ones that we are interested in are the ones with channel in their name. You will need to do the same to all of the ones with channel in their name. To bring up the next window you will need to double click on the item. We will take Primary IDE Channel first.

This is the screen that will come up. Device 0 is the primary device on the channel and Device 1 is the slave device. In the “Transfer Mode” box you should be seeing “DMA If Available”. If not and you are seeing “PIO Only” then you need to click on the box and change this to “DMA If Available”.

To finished simply click the “OK” button to exit the windows. You will now need to check your “Secondary IDE Channel”.

Now you will have to reset your computer for the changes to take effect.

If when you have restarted the computer one of the channels is back on PIO-Only mode the last thing you can try is to uninstall the channel from the Device Manager window. When you then restart the computer it will force windows to reinstall the drivers and hopefully use the DMA if available mode

Above info taken from http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616 in reference to http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/t-107993.html (watch for lots of popups)

Partie™

Thanks for the tips,however the problem is resolved.
    Reinstalled the drive but as a slave not as master and the speeds are now as stated with the literature.
    Runs happily at 4+ for DVDs and superfast for cd's.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Thanks for getting back to us Horse1. Glad you got things sorted.