Rowan

Default trouble with booting up system

hi,
    i have recently built a P4 3.20 Ghz HT system on a Gigabyte GA 8I915 GMF Mother board and i am having strange errors. the system appears to be booting correctly however it will stay on one line for ages, then move on... for example it will do the memory test, then wait for a while, then scan for IDE devices for ages, then move on. The system then will get to a point where it says "Boot from CD" evebn though i don't want it to, so i end up putting in the windows XP boot disc and it says to press any key to bood from CD... if i dont press any key it will boot normally and Windows XP will open as normal. What is going on? :? can anyone help me? if you can it would be greatly appreciated and if you could, please email a solution/explanation to nitrous_oxide_is_fun@hotmail.com

Cheers,
    -Rowan

You can change the 'boot from' order in the BIOS, hold down the Delete key while the computer boots up to access the BIOS.
    Look for something like 'First Boot Device' and you should be able to set the order to Hard Drive first, CD second, Floppy third.
    There may also be a Fast Boot option in the BIOS settings, enabling this may solve your long boot time problem.
    Make a note of any changes you make so that you can undo them if necessary.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Sorry to correct you but the ideal order is floppy first, CD 2nd and HD last.
    This way if you ever have a problem you can boot up with a floppy based rescue disk or a bootable CD.
    If there is no disks in the drive then the system will go onto the next until it finds system files.
    Your problem is that the CD drive is set last and the system is unable to find system files on any drive. It will then prompt for them at the last drive listed in the BIPS setup.
    This could be due to a bad installation.
    Set the bios to above.
    Boot up with your XP CD, reformat the drive and reinstall windows.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Yes whoozhe, you're absolutely right, that's the way I have my boot order set. Don't know why I suggested that way, too much Holsten probably!
    Thanks for correcting me.