Default Windows XP Pro won't boot all the way

Hi all,

My laptop won't boot all the way. It shows the Windows XP screen initially and then shows a blank screen. It doesn't go past this screen. How do I fix this? Thanks.

Fenisol3...

Have you made any changes to the computer before this started happening, such as new software or hardware? Try booting in safe mode by hitting the F8 key during start up. Choose the option to boot into safe mode. If you have made changes, undo them and shut down. See if it is OK. If you haven't made any changes, you may want to run a spyware and virus scan. Then shut down. If none of this works, try booting into safe mode again and pick the option LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION. If you are running XP, there is also the option to do a system restore to a point before the problem. Charlie

Default It still doesn't work

Thanks Grim322 for your reply

I downloaded some free stuff on the internet. I guess they must have infected my computer. I tried your suggestion but it gave me a blank screen just as before. I can see and move the cursor around. Also, I forgot to mention the first time that the computer couldn't shut down on its own. I have to plug/unplug each time.

Fenisol3

Do you have the XP installation cd or was xp alreadt installed and you don't have cd? Charlie

Default I have the original cd

I have the original xp cd.

Boot from the cd and enter recovery console by hitting R. Try entering the command fixmbr
    That will rewrite your master boot record. See if that takes care of it. If not, the next option is a repair installation. Let me know if fixmbr works. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator

Actually, if you wouldn't mind...before doing a repair install would you mind going back into the recovery console...once at the recovery console type.

attrib -h -s C:\boot.ini
    edit C:\boot.ini

------

ONce you enter those 2 commands you'll see a notepad for dos like program open with some stuff written in it...find a line similar to this..

----
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    ----

change that line to read..

----
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /SOS
    ----

Click "file" then "save" after changing that line. You'll be back at the recovery console/command prompt. Now type...

attrib +h +s C:\boot.ini

After that restart the computer..when you restart you'll see what things are loading, tell us the file that the computer gets "stuck" on.

Partieā„¢