DSR17

Default Blueyonder Broadband Install Problems

I recently built a new computer and am currently running Windows 98. Most things are running fine (apart from a graphics card problem). When I tried to install blueyonder broadband from the setup CD it does a system scan and says everything is fine apart from the processor which "fails". It is a 3GHz P4 but it reads it as 0Hz. Is there any way of fixing this. The instalation disk is Version 2 if that helps. Cheers.

Hi DSR - Blueyonder mmm. Almost the worst tech support I have experienced. Barely concealed disinterest about sums it up. That said when I eventually managed to sort out the Broadband everything has been fine ever since. When you say disc v2 for installation, I believe there is a v3, but it's been a while but I'll try and dig out some more info re this. Is your modem a Webstar DPX100?
    Blueyonder were distributing discs with the wrong driver on it, and the real joy came when accessing the Webstar site, to download the correct driver, that one was also the wrong driver. I suggest you ring Blueyonder and request another disc. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Do they require the software install as part of the account setup for new customers?

If not, and it is cable broadband, can't you just attach the hardware and cat5, recycle the modem power, let it sync, turn on the computer (or preferably the router and then the computer if you invested in a router for a hardware firewall), release and renew via winipcfg and be on?

Not sure there, but state-side you normally can avoid the provider's software as long as it is not part of the process to actually create the account for a new broadband customer.

Hi Deidre - I am informed by B/Y tech support, here in the UK, you have to install the software as part of the account setup. BUT, as in my previous post, I have found them so unreliable in the past I don't REALLY know whether this is actually true. :? You could try this link, there are some really clued up people on this site that I am sure will be able to answer your query - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ukbb
    If you manage to get a satisfactory answer to this then please post again. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

You only really need to install an ISP's software if you are connecting to ADSL via a USB modem. The ISP software is in fact usually just the drivers for the modem, the sign on interface and sometimes other things like IE, OE etc. Some ISP's will also include their irritating branding in the software. If you connect via a router all you really need is your sign in name & password.

To the original poster I take it your computer properties register your cpu as running at the correct speed? If so then probably is the blueyonder software which is at fault.

Another excellent site & forum for all things UK Broadband is http://www.adslguide.org.uk/
    a lot of very knowledgable folks over there and you usually get answers very quickly indeed on the forums.

Thanks for the input Shinobi -
    Deidre - I hope I haven't confused you. When you first signed in as a guest and you mentioned Blueyonder I assumed you were here in the UK. I'm not even sure if they are the same companies. :? . Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by galena1
    Thanks for the input Shinobi -
    Deidre - I hope I haven't confused you. When you first signed in as a guest and you mentioned Blueyonder I assumed you were here in the UK. I'm not even sure if they are the same companies. :? . Regards.
    Galena, I don't think Deirdre is the original poster. I think that they were mearly trying to help the OP. I'm pretty sure the OP is UK based.

Seems like I'M the one confused here. I think I'll go and lie down in a darkened room for while. :wink: Regards.

DSR17

Hey, just to clear things up, I am in the UK but am not Deirdre. Cheers for the help tho. BTW I am using a USB modem, its a SB4200 Motorola.