Default XP Page fault in non paging area (STOP 0x50)

I have just recovered from a Windows XP BSOD (STOP error 0X0050) after few days of nightmare and lost sleep as my partitions had important data. I am posting how i got out of it though i do not know why it worked. And still there is something to be resolved.

This is a branded desktop staying at home. Shut down in the morning and went out to work without confirming proper shut down. Found hanging as i came back, outlook not closing, Nothing was responding, so shut off power from switch.

Next boot attempt BSOD, stop error 50.(page fault in nonpaging area).

Put in the windows resinstalltion CD, it went to BSOD on recovery console
    option or on new instal option. Thought must be hardware problem.
    Checked with Pmagic rescue diskettes. Data volumes ok, system volume - too many errors. At lease - MBR ok.

Then tried checking memory. found one 256 MB failing in one test in mem86. So took that out. Then made a cd with the edited textsetup.sif with commented out ntfs.sys. Tried the trick of booting from Windows cd, press the 'Pause', slip in the doctored CD. Well now at least could go to RC. But nothing much to do in RC. Dir command: no enumeration possible. But the chkdsk worked. Ran chkdsk two times. Then check with Pmagic disks - it showed no error on C: But no file listing as yet. Try booting with Windows reinstallation cd, again BSOD:stop error 50 under both options.

So made the BartPE cd. Saw some nice file utility there and could read the directories now. So got an external HDD and copied data from the volumes. Took an image of the system volume for restoring later.

Reformatted the C parition with Pmagic as no access to full RC as yet.

Restored from the image. But BSOD again.

Then tried out formatting from the RC* ( the one created with the commented out ntfs.sys). Somewhow it started executing Format C: command, but later on reported that formatting could not be done. Tried with installation again from Windows Cd, blue screen again.

Now on this strange half-format, formatted again with Pmagic. This time the Windows Cd did not give me the stop error 50, and i could go to installation. So did a clean reinstallation of XP. And it was fine.

Now please can somebody explain why it worked the way it did?

Then since i had backed up the data, i reformated another partition (E), and restored my original C from the image. Then edited the boot.ini to show both boot options. Normal booting if booting from E option is chosen, again BSOD stop error 50. So with the idea of repairing this installation, started off with the reinstalation Cd again and chose the new installation option. When u choose RC option, it shows both the C: and E: installations. But under the new installation option, i get blue screen again. Clearly the HDD is fine. i tried replacing copies of all the files ntdetect,ntldr, etc. But nothing works. u get blue screen whenver u attempt booting from this partition.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Member Help2Go Moderator

Could you please tell me what kind of hardware you have installed in your machine. I mean exact details of the motherboard, PSU, CPU, RAM, Hard Drive make/model, CD/DVD Rom (RW) Drives/Models etc.etc.

Also, I can only assume that you are using the the page file that's stored on the system drive meaning you don't have it on another partition or seperate drive. If that's the case, boot into the partition that is not giving you the problem, browse into the partition that IS giving you the problem and delete THAT pagefile. Reboot into the partition giving you errors and see if that has helped after reconfiguring the page file after windows loads.

Partieā„¢

Member Help2Go Moderator

OH and don't know if you've seen this yet...

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50