Default MS - Internet Explorer - Problems....

I am having Win.98 SE, IE 6, and Adware SE, Spybot S&D 1.3, AVG free edition. In addition to that on a trial basis I have kept EZ.AV & EZ.FW.
    1. In every scan Spybot is showing me - DSO Exploit - 1 entry as a problem but unable to fix it. Spybot update is up to date. The details of the entry are : HKEY_CURRENT_USER: Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main"Start Page".
    Please advise.
    2.In IE, internet options, I have fixed 20 days history is to be stored. The drop down box at the address bar shows, when I click on the downward arrow, one or two entries or sometimes nil. But in the history folder it is OK. Why is it so ? Drop down box should show me all the names of sites I have visited.
    Please somebody advise me.

Vasista.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Check out this site for the DSO Exploit question you ask http://www.pchell.com/support/dsoexploit.shtml .

To access your history, you are looking in the wrong place. If you are using the default IE bar at the top, the section that has the eyeglass for search, the star for Favorites and the a circle with an arrow going anticlockwise .. this is your history button. When you click it, a window will open on the left side of the page listing the sites you have visited. You can access it also by clicking on View>Explorer Bar> History.

The drop down Address bar that you are clicking will just list the sites (URLs) you have you have typed in.

Hope this helps, get back and let us know how it went.

Hai...Friends...!
    Since my last posting about the DSO Exploit - 1 Entry, that was shown in the every scan by Spybot S&D, the development is - recently I downloaded the trial version of 'Unzip Wizard' version 3.11.32 and this software has shown me there are 22 spyware files are in my folders. It has given me the file names with extensions - DSO Exploit.zip, 21 files and AlexaRelated.zip, 1 file. I located all these files from start>find>files and folders. I have delated all the 22 files. Now the spybot S&D showing a clean slate.
    I hope I have done the right thing. Please, I request some of you to confirm my action.

Vasista

To fix the DSO Exploit glitch simply install the update from the link below.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Deleting the zip files was fine, programs don't run from .zip files, they have to be opened and activated before any potential damage is done. This is not to say that someone probably can rename an exe as zip but your virus scanner should pick something like that up I'm fairly sure.

Default DSO Exploit

I have clicked on the links that everyone says will fix this. But it says that unless you update youre program you will not get rid of it.
    I update my search and destroy and keep my windows updated all the time and i still get these five DSO Exploit errors everytime i scan with search and destroy. It says that these errors will not interfer with youre Programs but it is an irritation to not be able to get rid of theme. I dont understand why windows cant send a patch or search and destroy cant to correct this issue. I always clear theme when i get the DSO so i dont have to creat another restore point that is done automatilcally everytime you find somthing on a scan. Sorry to be redundent about this issue but it is annoying.

Cordialy Jay

If you have the latest version of Spybot on your computer and follow Bear
    Nunya's post, it will fix the DSO exploit problem. The first time you run Spybot after the fix, it will still show the DSO exploit, but it will fix it. The next time you run it, it should not show up. Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by BearNunya
    To fix the DSO Exploit glitch simply install the update from the link below.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html
    Thanks for the link I tried it but got no info- just Majorgeeks blank screen?? cheers Jim.

I am sorry to all members those who have participated in the discussion. I was not successfull as I have reported earlier. I got the DSO again in the today's scan.
    However there is an update dated 16th Feb, after I dowloaded it, I scanned the system and I was congratulated for the clean slate.
    I am sorry again, for I failed in my attempts.

Vasista