Default DVD/CDRW Playback problems

Hi
    My laptop has a MATSHITA UJDA710 DVD/CDRW, I am having problems with it playing audio and video whether on a CD or DVD. It recognises the disc but when it plays back the files on there it sortof jumps a bit. I have compared the playback with the same file which I ripped to my computer a while back and its nothing to do with the sound, and I have tried Video files on my hard drive and they play fine too so it could only be the drive itself.

I have tried using a CD cleaner but it simply refuses to recognise it, I have the unhappy feeling that my drive may be on the way out, as this is only a recent problem. If so would an external drive be applicable or is it time to upgrade the whole computer?

Thanks

Paul

If the lap top is other wise ok, I would look at an external drive. Not only is it cheaper but can be used on others PC's.

May want to check E bay for a replacement drive. Also since this is a lap top with the drive open you should be able to "see" the lens of the player.

Try cleaning with good old rubbing Alcohol and a cotton ball. Make sure that you get all the "lint" off it after is dries.

Cheers

The thing is it reads that data alright, it just doesn't want to play anything from the disc. For instance I have a dvd data dics with a load of avi's on it. It used to play the avi's fine from the disc but now its jumps as if it can't read the data, but I ripped one of the files from the disc and it worked with no problem.

I don't know whether that changes the advice offered or not.

On the note of external drives, I would look to buy a firewire drive (as USB1 really really wouldn't be up to the task), possibly a dvd writer, do you know if it can be connected from the spare port on the back of my external hard drive, which is currently taking up my only firewire port on my comp atm and can't realistically be disconnected. It mentions in the instruction manual about daisy chaining firewire devices I don't know if thats what it means though. For reference its a Maxtor USB2/firewire 250gb drive. I have had a brief look and found LaCie drives to be the most competitvly priced (i.e. cheapest and most abundance) but I have never heard of them before and so don't really know what to expect from them.

Thanks again

Paul

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

There could be several causes for this and it may not be the player itself.
    Playin audio or video directly off a CD takes up more processing power than plaing the same files from the Hard Drive.
    I have a suspicion that your system is just not coping.
    You need to do some housekeeping first so I suggest you read the article at
    http://www.help2go.com/article217.html
    and follow the advice.
    Before that use Windows Own tools and clean out some junk. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. Run the Disk clean utility.
    Do what is suggested in the article that back to the system tools and run the defreg program.
    Once done it may also be wise to update the drivers for your graphics card and update any codecs.
    Can advise on that later but first try the above and see how things are.
    The other possibilties is yu may not have enough Hard drive space left and or your memory has a problem.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Right I've run system cleanup, it removed a few KB from drive C. I ran both virus scans and found nothing, I ran spybot and adware and they found a couple of things but nothing more than you would expect from normal browsing. I will post a hijack this log if you want. I defraged all four hard drives (one inernal, one external partitioned into three drives of various sizes). After all this and a few reboots the system will still not play CD's properly.

As for free space, I have kept 60% free on drive C, I've tried to keep mainly systme files on there, and programs that require hardware, like DVD player and Nero. The other drives are all full to various degrees; one is primarily a back-up for C drive, one is where I have installed my other programs such as office. And the third drive is where I put downloads, and video's for editing. (No high memory programs were in use when I have tried to play CD's and before a week or so ago there was no problem with this.)

I don't really understand codecs too much, but I figure that as they can be played on the computer anyway then the codecs are adequate. As for the graphics card I'm more uncertain here, as I had to reinstall that after I formatted which was the subject of a previous topic. Anywho my graphics card according to Belarc is: S3 Graphics Twister + S3Hotkey [Display adapter]. I downloaded a driver for this and my system seemed to be happy with this, the website of S3 was a little hard to navigate and as its an old card finding drivers is more difficult.

If there is any other information I can give I will, and thanks for any advice

Paul

Sorry for double posting but I tried to write an image of a CD and that failed as well, however it will write the data fine as a bin/cue combination as well as that my flatmate could burn the image without any problems. I don't know if thats any more help but I thought I'd tell you anyway.