Default To retrieve my children photo

How to retrieve my digital photo in hard drive that already being formated due to virus attack?Thank you[/img]

If it has already been reformatted, they are gone (with the possible exception of expensive data retrieval). If it has not been formatted yet, STOP where you are. You could try hooking up your hard drive as a slave drive on somebody else's computer and see if you can transfer your photos and any other important data to their computer. After transfer, put drive back in computer and continue with reformatting. Charlie

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If I understand you, due to a virus you had to reformat you hard drive. If this is the case, you've lost the picture for good. There are companies out there whose job is to resurect lost data from hard drives, but this cost a heck of a lot to do. If I misread you, please restate your problem.

First off I'm no expert but I've read a lot of articles on this subject and in all likelyhood your data can be recovered. Thats the good news. The bad news as others have already stated is the expense. First off stop using the affected PC. Next do a search for "data recovery" or "data retreival" on google (on another PC preferably). There is a lot of competition for this type of work and many companies offer free quotes. For practical reasons try companies from your own country (to minimise shipping costs if nothing else).

Depending on the job it could run you anything from $200 to $5000 or more! So it really how boils down to a trade off of how valuble the data is to you (in sentimental or financial terms!) vs how much it is goig to affect your wallet.

One final thought when it comes to data recovery: there are no guarantees. But if a drive has been formatted and then not used, I would bet there is an 80% chance the data can be recovered.....at a cost.

This may not help the immediate problem, but I am posting it to help in the future or with others who have a similar problem. Be wary of any "computer repairman" whose answer is reformat. That may be the easiest and quickest way for him to fix the problem, but you will lose your data. He doesn't care, it's not HIS data. Before going that route try going to this post and following directions
    http://www.help2go.com/article217.html
    The problem can usually be corrected, or at the very least the computer can be made functional so that you can back up data prior to reformatting. Of course you also now know that all important photos and documents should be backed up. (burn to a CD, save on another hard drive or computer). Better yet, burn it to a CD and mail it to a relative or friend for safe keeping. If your computer fries or your house burns down, you still have the data. Charlie