Thread: Unknown .exe

Default Unknown .exe

:? Process 2984 - t?skmgr.exe
    Each time I turn my PC on i get the above message requesting access, I have searched the internet and I cannot find what this is for, can anyone help please.

WPL

maybe malware, as the insertion of a '?' into "taskmgr"...
    try posting a log in the spyware forum. deleting the assosciated key will most likely stop the error message from occuring upon starting your pc.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go here http://www.help2go.com/article217.html and follow all the steps .. the 5th step create a Highjack this log, come back to this post, click Post Reply and paste the log. One of our experts will take a look and see what needs to be done .. don't delete or fix anything until they let you know.

:?
    Hi canuck, when I went into the web site you suggested it said there was an error and that I should download 'Active X' yet when I clicked on 'More Information' it said don't install Active X unless it is essential, as I am only a computer novice I am now even more confused

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Activex has some weak spots in it that can be compromised. It's a standard warning and should be kept in mind when downloading. Chances are you have an older version and this would update it. Just be aware that malware could get through if you're targeted, but with a good virus scanner (free AVG or Avast are excellent) and good firewall (free Zone Alarm ... excellent too) you should be fairly well protected. My advice is download and like the rest of us keep up good house cleaning practices (Disk Clean, Defrag, and used anti adware programs like adaware and spybot). Take a look at our recommended software article for these and other programs http://www.help2go.com/article163.html .