Default hp 6300c scanner with error message, cannot initialize

Help! I am at my wit's end. I have a HP 6300c scanner and when I start it I get a message, "cannot initialize" cannot find scanner". I have been emailing with HP , 25 pages of directions none of which works. Four days ago they said they would call. Not yet. Let me tell you what I have done. Device mgr. says it is working, usb looks fine. I have win98se. I did download some critical updates from Microsoft which probably caused all of this. I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times, regular and safe mode. I downloaded also the software online and did the same thing. I moved hpsjvxd.vxd and exe to the right folder. i put the exe and stimon in the startup folder. At some point tonight the scanner was working. my pc also did not shut down when all this happened a week ago so i downloaded the patch from microsoft. that works now but when i restarted my pc, the scanner does not work again. I went on gateway site to see what was new for my pc and it does show a download for the motherboard and some other one both related to amd which i think deals with the usb. didn't know what to do so i thought i would ask you. i am so frustrated. :?:

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Give it another shot, Unplug the scanner from your PC, uninstall the driver then reboot. Make sure that the scanner no longer shows up. Having done that, download and install the drivers, make sure they are installed and reboot .. make sure driver is now showing .. shut down. Connect scanner to PC and boot up and follow any hardware install instructions if any.

Hope this works for you, let us know or if we can be of further assistance.

Default re driver

before i do this let me clarify something. Do you mean go into device mgr and delete both usb and it will automatically load when i reboot? thank you

Delete the driver in the Imiging Devices>HP Scanjet 6300. I have the same scanner and this is basically what I had to do ... they aren't the easiest to install. Make sure you disconnect from the pc and not scanner (why this, I'm not sure, but that's the way it worked for me.) Also, suggest you unplug the scanner from power at same time as the USB. When reconnecting, first power then USB. If you've downloaded a newer driver, when setting up say you have your own driver on disk and go to the file where youv'e opened the download.

Default amazing

when i went to imaging devices the scanner didnt show this time so i uninstalled the software, shut down, unplugged everything and this time loaded the original software from the cd, i had done this many times before but it didnt work. well, it worked this time. i have shut off the pc and turned it back on a couple of times to make sure and it is now working. this has been going on for the past two weeks and why it worked this time is beyond me. hopefully it will stay or i will write back again. thanks so much

Glad it worked for you, perhaps it's the way you held you tounge?? Happy scanning