Thread: startup problem

Default startup problem

Hi,
    well I have tried to fix 1 problem and now have a 2nd one, so I will only deal with 1st one.

I had windows xp installed however it would not load so I installed windows 98 (I have a fully bootable 98 cd so I have to use it when installing and I have an upgrade xp cd which I then use to upgrade from 98 to xp)

I was able to repair xp so when my computer started up and it looked in floppy drive then cd rom drive I then was taken to another screen where I had a choice of using 98 or xp.

Hope you are with me so far!

I then uninstalled 98 after going to control panel then remove programes which it did, however I now still have a screen that asks me to choose which os I wish to use after checking floppy drive and then cd rom drive. If I do nothing it chooses 98 and then goes to a screen asking to install windows 98.If I choose xp it loads up ok.

How can I remove the choice of starting up in 98 so that xp loads automatically. Is it just a registry error and can it be removed by some software?

Hope someone can help.

Step by step instructions would help.
    Regards

Warren

Did you see this?

http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php...235740907c406c

Have you tried their suggestion?

Cheers

Member Help2Go Moderator

If the 98 partition (the part of the hard drive that 98 was installed on) is completely gone, you need to view all hidden/system files by opening "my computer" then selecting "tools" then "folder options". Once the new window opens click the "view" tab and then put a bullet (the dot thing) next to "Show hidden files and folders" and UNcheck "hide protected operating system files (recommended)". Once you do that hit the "apply" then the "OK" button and then go back into "My Computer" then go into the C: drive (or the drive that has Windows XP installed on it) and then find the file "boot.ini". Double click that file to open it in Notepad. You'll see some lines like this...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows 98"

You want to delete the line that tells you about Windows 98.

Also, you'll see a line like this..
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

Change that line to equal the XP Line of code just like the one above..

Basically this is what you should end up with..

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Save the file once you're done editing it and then reboot.

Partie™

Default reply to startup problem

Thanks guys.

I have changed the boot ini info as suggested and it has worked.

Thanks again.

Regards

Warren

Member Help2Go Moderator

Also, I forgot to mention...

Instead of using the 98 CD to install Windows 98 first then using the windows XP upgrade CD to upgrade to XP, you can actually use the XP CD first. Meaning you can actually skip the step of installing 98 first. All you have to do is the same thing with the XP CD. Put it in the drive and reboot, it'll start the setup process. I think it's about step #4 when it locates installed windows versions. When it doesn't find one, since it's an upgrade CD it'll ask you to prove that you are upgrading, that's when you insert the Windows 98 CD into the tray, once it reads the 98 CD it'll continue the XP install without actually having to install 98.

Partie™