Thread: KMV Bootup

Default KMV Bootup

I recently installed a KMV switch to enable me to monitor a back up computer I have in another room. This computer is running Windows 98 I have it connected to the switch cables with and extender cable which is 10ft long. The problem is whenever I have to boot or reboot the computer it goes through an initial logon process, I see the windows 98 logo etc. etc. Then a DOS screen displaying all the different commands and I lose the video signal. My monitor reads out of range. The computer is booted up but I cannot read the signal. If I boot it up with the extender cable plugged directly into the monitor cable it boots up fine. I can then hook everything up through the switch and everything works almost fine. (I have another small problem which I don't want to get sidetracked with) Any thoughts

Member Help2Go Moderator

possibly too long of a cable to get the signal out. But the max length of cable depends on the following things:
    - used resolution and refresh rate (=signal bandwidth)
    - cable type (cable loss characteristics, impedance matching quality)
    - the amount of picture quality loss allowed
    - sometimes quality of the graphics cards depends on the performance (some cards work poorer on long cables than some others)

You might want to think about getting a shorter VGA cable than 10FT.

Since you are able to see the logon screens and the dos commands that are shown, I'd suggest that it's either the resolution or the refresh rate of the monitor/video card.

Partie™

Because of locations using a shorter cable is not really an option. I am not clear as to what changes in these things I should make or how to make. Faster or slower refresh rate etx

Member Help2Go Moderator

First, i'd find out what your monitor can handle. Resolution size vs Refresh Rate. Then, I'd just change those in the display properties until one worked. To get to the display properties you can right click a blank spot on your desktop and choose "properties" then click the "Settings" button. There you'll see the "advanced" button where'll you go into the minitor tab and change the refresh rate..

Partie™

Thanks I will try that, but I am also curious as to why you think it does work when I boot it up directly with the cable, and then continues to work after I replug it into the KMV switch.

Default Refresh Rate

I tried to change the refresh rate and got a warning that this might damage my monitor. How can I be sure that does not happen?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Somewhere on your monitor should be a label that tells you monitor model and serial and also the operating ranges (frequency = how much mhz.) More than likely it's on the back of the monitor near where the cable is that goes from monitor to PC. If you do not find a label you can look up the monitor information on the internet. I'm sure there are some resources out there that will tell you what operating range it may run at.

Partie™