Guest4

Default Sound won't work

I'm running Windows XP on a Sony Vaio. I purchased the computer only a few months ago and now the sound won't work. I've checked all the speaker connections (they're external) and made sure the volume was not muted on the computer or any programs. Sound will not play for anything. Is this most likely a sound card problem? Is there anyway to check that it is without taking it in (the computer is still under warrenty)?

It does sound like a problem with the sound card or drivers. Try the Windows sound troubleshooter first, if you still have no sound afterwards then as it's still under warranty I'd take it in for repair.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try Start>Control Panel>Sounds & Audio Devices> go through all the tabs checking that all is in order. You will also not that it will mention probably at the top of the Volume page the make of your sound board. Do you have a program file in that name in Start>All Programs ? If so click on it and check the settings or use the troubleshooter if there is one. Creative has a diogonistic option, don't know if yours does, but if so try it.

I know this is basic, but it's amazing how many people miss it, even older PCers. Check that the speakers are connected to the correct socket at the back of PC, make sure there is power to speakers (a light usually indicates this) and having said that, is the power button/switch on the speaker turned on and volume dial turned up?