Thread: hard disks

tali1

Default hard disks

with hard disks being very cheap i want to get rid of my 20gb and put in 160gb,but i have a pc running only 900mhz and 256mb ram -will my pc cope with all the extra storage- or is this totally irrelevant . i am running xp :?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Probably not, give us the make and model of your pc and if you can the info on the motherboard, we may be able to at least tell you what the largest size hd it will take.

The extra storage should be no problem. It really just sits there doing nothing but holding data until needed. I would recommend leaving the operating system on the 20 GB drive as master. Add the new drive as a slave and use for whatever you want, that way you don't need to reload the operating system. For that big of a drive I would also recommend a partioning program such as Partition Magic that lets you repartition a drive without reformatting and losing data. It is hard to know exactly how you want to partition it at the very beginning. Partition Magic lets you change your mind later with no problems. Charlie