Thread: updating office

msk

Default updating office

If I want to update office 2000 to 2003, do I need to uninstall the original first? Is it OK to have 2 versions remaining on the computer? Will I loose my documents and outlook data if I uninstall completely?

I tried to do it without uninstalling but "replacing" as was recommended but I lost access to all my information and had to system restore. I'm afraid if I uninstall I will loose everything!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You should be able to download without losing any of the data files, but it's always a good idea to back up these and settings and address book.

msk

Default office update

Does that mean I should do uninstall and then install 2003? Or just treat the new version as an update or upgrade without getting rid of 2000?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I would treat 2003 as an update, usually what happens is that it will detect an old version and automatically adjust its installation accordingly .. that is, some programs require old versions to be uninstalled (which it will do as part of the new installation) or overwrite and add any new files it needs and delete old ones it doesn't need. MS is usually an automatic installation. I would still create a good Restore point before installing though.