Thread: system recovery

jacobi

Default system recovery

i,Ive got ahp 80gb ram256xp floppy& cdrive
    I would like to remove the system recovery partition from the hard drive disk to increase the space data.
    I need some expertise on how to do that.If I do remove the partition do I have to create a new data partition
    on the hard drive? Or is that what would of been done by removing the partition? Also is this a good idea to do this? Would appreciate some advice. Jacobi

I believe HP and Compaq have an option that lets you make a set of recovery disks with your CD burner (assuming you have one). Once you have a set of recovery CDs(there will be about 6 of them), you can safely remove the recovery partition. You could reformat it which would erase it and leave it as a separate partition, or you could erase it and merge it into the other partion with a program like Partition Magic. That would give you one larger partition. Check the info that came with the computer for help on creating the recovery disks. If you can't find it, let me know and I can probably track the info down. Charlie

jacobi

Default system recovery

Charlie, thanks for the input I did find a hp book It looks like I can put the recovery tool cd in the rom and it will give me instructions. I hope thats correct, Thanks again Jacobi

Be carefull that you don't do an actual system recovery. You just want to create the recovery disks. On my Compaq computer , the steps are click START, choose ALL PROGRAMS, choose COMPAQ (yours would probably be HP), choose COMPAQ PRESARIO PC TOOLS, click COMPAQ RECOVERY CD-DVD CREATOR. Then follow on screen instructions. The recovery disks actually have the ability to erase the recovery partion if you wish. You key strokes should be similar as HP and Compaq are the same company. Charlie