Default Before I wipe out c:...

Hello! Hope you're all having a wonderful afternoon. I'm back with another challenge...and hoping I will, once again, be rescued from my own stupidity.

Here's what I've got:
    Over the past couple of months I've noticed that my computer has really began to pull the reins and slow down. It's not so terribly horrible that I stare at the clock yet, but I want to try to prevent it before it gets there.

I'm a web/graphic designer, so I'm a download junky. Give me a new program and I'll try it...some I buy, some I don't. As you know, things begin to build up and before you know it... you're up chocolate creek without a creme stick.

I have RAM on the way as we speak because I'm only running 200 something (which is bad for what I do, I know)...but...I am leaning toward cleaning out c: and starting fresh.

Here is my biggest problem:
    I have no patience. I purchase most of my development software online and download the full versions (instead of waiting on the postal service to bring me a CD)... I am also very careless... I never remember to burn the original zip file to a cd before I get rid of it...
    So...all I really have....is..what's in my Program Files.

How exactly would I go about creating a backup for each program? Is it possible that all I would need to do is burn that software's folder in Program Files, to a CD? or is it more complex than this?
    An example of some of the software I'm using is: Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia MX 2004, WS FTP PRO, etc.

Can It be done? or....am I up chocolate creek?

I sincerely appreciate your time and effort!
    Thank you so much!

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, once they are running as programs on your computer, it is not as easy to back them up. I do have a suggestion for the future. When you set up your computer again, create a small partition of 5 to 10 GB (depending on hard drive size). Download everything to that partition. Do a virus scan before unzipping and moving to main partition. That will help protect your computer from infected downloads. Maintain the original zipped folder in the secondary partition and you will always have it when needed for backup or to install on another computer. Charlie

Default you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Grim322
    I'm not sure of the answer to your question, once they are running as programs on your computer, it is not as easy to back them up. I do have a suggestion for the future. When you set up your computer again, create a small partition of 5 to 10 GB (depending on hard drive size). Download everything to that partition. Do a virus scan before unzipping and moving to main partition. That will help protect your computer from infected downloads. Maintain the original zipped folder in the secondary partition and you will always have it when needed for backup or to install on another computer. Charlie

That's a great idea. Thanks for your fast response Charlie! I will def. take your advice.
    I appreciate it,
    Jenna

Hi JennaJae

Once installed I don't know of any way to simply back up/save the programs for re-installing later. Once you have celared your HD to start again - possibly by reformatting it - you will need to reload all programs from master disks or return to the original source of the download and reload from there (to the partition Grim recommends).

Perhaps you should make a note of exaclty where you got all the downloaded programs from before you start over. Hopefully then you'll know where to go to reload stuff.

Best of luck. Hope it works out for you. Do let us know how you get on.
    PLEASE DONATE. Help keep our site alive without ads.

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

Default Hey! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    Hi JennaJae

Once installed I don't know of any way to simply back up/save the programs for re-installing later. Once you have celared your HD to start again - possibly by reformatting it - you will need to reload all programs from master disks or return to the original source of the download and reload from there (to the partition Grim recommends).

Perhaps you should make a note of exaclty where you got all the downloaded programs from before you start over. Hopefully then you'll know where to go to reload stuff.

Best of luck. Hope it works out for you. Do let us know how you get on.
    Thank you Oddjob! I, too, had a gut feeling...I have been very bad about this. I spoke with one of the tech's from work and he dropped by for about an hour lastnight and didn't think I was even close to needing to wip out my hard drive. He was able to work his magic and get most of the trial versions and other junk off of it...but he did agree that I should take your guys' advice and remember to back up all my zip files when I purchase programs like these. He is going to stop by in a few days to install my RAM for me and then I guess we'll go from there.

Thank you so much for your advice and for taking time to write me back!
    I appreciate it very much!
    I'll be sure to let you guys know how things go.
    ~Jenna

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Now that's what I call service above and beyond .. you're lucky ... he/she should deserve a pint or two :wink: