immal

Default editing apache installation

Goodday all,

As a newbie here, I guess this question might be redundant or I just couldn't know under which thread to post it up. To go straight to the point, I am gonna ask if anyone out there would be willing to give me basic steps as to how to edit my apache setups. I messed up the day I was installing the app. Where I was prompted to setup a domain and server name I put invalid names and web address, now I cannot have my localhost page showing just as a demo to see if the server is responding to the request. I'd wish to put my IP address as a rectification, but I don't know where to go to do that.

This is my first experience in web development as I am getting into this quite interesting and exciting jurney. I am running Win XP pro SP2, on 2.4 GHz processor and 512 RAM. The apache version I am running is 2.0.47 and PHP 5.0.3. I will later be installing MySQL 4.1.

The issue here is that I've installed APACHE and PHP moreso, I don't wish to uninstall APACHE as this may temper with some already installed settings, unless I am told otherwise.

Please your help will be so much appreciated. :roll:

Member Help2Go Moderator

There should be a shortcut in start menu/programs/apache2 labeled "edit apache config" or "edit httpconf" if not, go into your apache2 folder and look for the httpconf file and open it with notepad or another similar text editor. Make your changes and then save the file. After saving the file restart apache.

Partie™

Thanks PartieHonteuse

I do appreciate your input. That was helpful.

I have another one though. How will I go with service installation? when I finished installing Apache I got error messages (in console mode), basically prompting me that some services were not installed as the folder "apache2" wasn't installed yet that's not true. I have the folder installed. Is there anywhere that I went wrong??

On the icon in the tray (next to the clock) whenever I point a mouse there, it highlights that "No services installed"

I will appreaciate any help.

immal

Member Help2Go Moderator

go to a command prompt (start menu | run | type "cmd" [no quotes] | hit ok]. In the command prompt browse to C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2
    then run this command

apache -k install

that should install it as a service.

Btw, did you install one of those pieces of software that have apache/mysql/php (sorta like phpTriad) did you?

Partie™

immal

Default still stuck with apache install

I did that and it never worked. I there is any package that contains the 3 I'd be glad to get the link. As far as installation is concerned I did it individually --> went to apache site got the downlad, MySQL and PHP.

I wish I could have attached a file here to display the screenshot. The message I got is as follows : 'apache' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. [/img]

Member Help2Go Moderator

oops

forgot cd \bin

so the full path to browse to in command prompt is

C:\program files\apache group\apache2\bin then run the apache -k install

Partie™

Done that too

Here the error message : "(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: cou
    ld not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
    no listening sockets available, shutting down
    Unable to open logs"

Do you think that they could be some wrong with the installation? btw, all went fine up to the finish.

Member Help2Go Moderator

I just realized that you are running windows XP Sp2, do you happen to have IIS installed? That's a web server for windows. To check go into add/remove programs, click windows setup and see if it's installed, if it is remove it and then reinstall apache. Also, since you're replying to my posts quite rapidly if you have MSN Messenger you're more than welcome to add me

unknowntogod@msn.com or if you have AIM > unknowntogod

Partie™

Member Help2Go Moderator

and that was worthless because I don't know how to pay attention sorry, you added me and I was in the middle of watching a movie..

Partie™