Default system restore programs

other than the system restore that comes with win xp home, are there any good free programs that do same but are better and more reliable?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The question is, what have you found that is unreliable? Restore is only as good as the Restore points you make .. when things are going well, manually create a 'good restore' point, don't necessarily rely on automatic restore. Another other way I can think of is to create backups of data as part of general maintenance and also create a ghost backup of the OS (I believe this procedure is available in Norton .. I stand to be corrected as I've never used it). You can also back up your registry to disk which will save your various settings.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

System restore only saves system files, settings and the registry.
    I think what you need it a good backup application. there are dozens of themm about but most only backup data.
    Paragon Disk Copy or Norton ghost make an eact duplicate of your entire HD and saves it to either a set of CDs, DVD's or another partition or HD.
    The process can take hours to complete.
    Bottom line is back up data, music whatever. make sure you have all your software installations on CD's
    Do that and if a problem arrises reformatting will not be such a hassle.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.