Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cpu operating temp.

My new build has an AMD Athlon 1.85GHz processor. The case has a temp. lead which, I am advised, should be attached to the cpu heatsink for best readout. The temp. sensor says it's currectly running at around 34 degrees [I'm presuming this is celcius]. I've tried to find if this is a reasonble running temp. but I've been all over the web - including the manufacturer's site - and can't get a straightforward answer.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.
    PLEASE DONATE. Help keep our site alive without ads.

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

I'm running an AMD 2600 (which is about 1.95 Ghz). My Abit mobo has a sensor built in and a program that reads temp. Mine runs around 46 Celcius, so 34 is fine. I suspect that since the lead is attached to heatsink (you can't actually attach to cpu) that it reads lower than the actual temperature of CPU. Charlie

Hallo Oddjob, Had look around and came up with the following, but nothing official.
    Athlon 2200 = 40C
    Athlon 1.33 = 41C
    Athlon 1.0 = 35C
    Not much help if you are looking for specifics but it would appear that your
    temp at 34 is in the right area. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Thanks for that. Very useful. Certainly put my mind rest.

The temperature sensor displays a read out at the front of the tower. The lead itself goes straight from a small circuit board in the case to the heat sink. Yesterday my son told me some sort of alarm went off and he said the temperature readout showed 37 degrees. He's only a young lad but, thankfully, had the presence of mind to shut down immediately and tell me what happened. I couldn't really see what was wrong with 37 degrees and, when I tried, it was operating at around 34 degrees. He wasn't playing any major games or for excessively long times (both of which would cause a CPU to really heat up).

My guess he is that the internal circuitry alarm which came with the case is set to low. I'll have to go back to the case manufacturer/supplier and ask them what's going on here.

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

I think they set the alarm very low to be on the safe side and prove it works. Mine is set to give an alarm at 55 and shut down at 62. Don't think I'll ever get that high. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The CPU is not the only contributor to heat. High end graphics cards and other periphials can contribute and indirectly cause the CPU to overheat.
    A good cooling system is essential. If you play games or use any software that is CPU demanding then consider adding a second system fan or a better heatsink/cooling fan on the CPU.
    At present your is withing the average range.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks whoozhe

I was hoping you'd be back to add your thoughts to this discussion.

My son uses the new build and is happy with onboard sound and graphics only at the moment. He doesn't play "hi end" games, needing dedicated AGP or PCI graphics/sound cards, neither is he on it for long periods of time.

The second system fan is in place but, at the moment, I can't see how to connect it! The mobo has one pair of pins for one system fan. I'll work it out eventually.

Best wishes.

DSR17

Go here for the data http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm. Also very useful site when overclocking as it tells you the max voltages. It seems to have every processor ever made in there too. (BTW does anyone know the recomended voltages for RAM or a site similar to this?)

Sorry DSR17 - the link looked good but it didn't work when I clicked on it. Do you want to try agin.

Thanks.

Stange. Its in my favourites and it goes to it but I cant get to it from the link from the post either, i'll try again. If it doesnt work, try cutting and pasting it into your browser.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast