a111

Default Error loading OS

When i try and start my system i get a meesage that says error loading OS. This happens everytime but i didn't make any changes to the system and i'm still able to load XP if i go to the boot menu and select the main HD manually. Any thoughts as to whats the problem?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try doing an sfc / scannow fix .. see http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html# (site thanks to BearNunya).

a111

Tryed sfc it ran not sure if it did anything but no effect on the problem. The message comes after the loading DMI files line. Any other thoughts?

Do you have the Microsoft XP installation Cd and unlock code( not a set of recovery disks). If you do, you can do a repair installation to reload the OS, but leave your data files alone. Directions here:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    Charlie

you could try running a diagnostic on your hard drive also.

a11

Got it solved some how in the BIOS it was set to boot from my second drive. So set that the right way around and alls good now.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Glad you're up and running. Thanks for getting back to us, it sure helps our knowledge base for the future.

Member Help2Go Moderator

I see you ran the SFC. Please reinstall ALL windows hotfixes and service packs. Although they may show in your registry, they are not installed anymore especially if the SFC overwrote any Windows System Files (in which it does unless you specified a different paramater with the SFC command).

Partieā„¢