Default Moving hard drive from old computer to new computer

I bought a new computer, but I'd like to take my hard drive from my old system and install it as a sleve drive in my new system. The reason is that I have about 60GB worth of files that I need to transfer to the new system, and I thought it would be easier to just add the old drive as a second hard drive on the newer computer. That way I would have all my files plus some extra storage. My question is: Can I just take the drive out of the old system, and install it in the newer one? I know that my old drive has Windows XP on it, but I won't need that since the new computer came with Windows XP already installed. I don't know where to start. please help!

old system: AMD Athlon 1.2
    Windows XP Home
    512k pc2100 ram
    80 gb hard drive (drive I want to move to new system)

new system: Intel Pentium 4 2.8
    Windows XP Home
    1 gb pc3200 ram
    50 gb hard drive

Default anybody?

please help!! thanks

You can put the drive in your new computer. Exactly how depends on how things are configured in the new computer. Your CD drive and your hard drive may be on the same IDE cable or separate cables. If they are on separate cables, you can do it very easily. Be carefull about static electricity. Ground yourself by touching the computer case before touching the hard drive. You will want to instal the old drive as a slave on the same cable as the new hard drive. The new drive should be set as master. There should be a loose power plug available.
    If the CD drive is on the same cable as the hard drive, it is a little trickier. You will need to remove the IDE cable from the CD drive, and chage the jumper on the CD drive to master. Use a second IDE cable (you could use the one from the old computer), and connect to back of CD drive, then connect it to the motherboard secondary IDE connection (should be next to where the hard drive cable connects). Set the old drive to slave, connect the cable that was connected to the cd drive to it, hook it up and boot the computer. It should find the new drive and assign a letter to it. Charlie