Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XP partial reinstall

I use XP Pro. Recently I installed Mozilla Firefox and love it. For some reason I cannot use automatic updates & I am having problems accessing some websites. When I tried to use Internet Explorer again my computer could not find it (used search but no good). I have tried system restore but that did not solve the problem. I am not aware of deleting I.E. but will asume it has gone for good.
    Can I use my original installation disk to reinstall Internet Explorer only, and more to the point do I really need to do this to use automatic updates and solve my access issues?
    Thanks in advance
    guy9663

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hello Guy9663,

You need IE to access Microsoft updates, it's an MS product after all :wink: . Firefox and other non MS browsers are not able to access some sites that are based on ActiveX, which is also Microsoft. The long and short of it is that you'll need IE for these even though you've made Firefox your default.

You cannot delete IE from your XP operating system, it's lurking there somewhere. Try looking here C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (C: drive being the drive XP is operating from). When you find it, rt click on the file and go to 'Send To' and click Desktop (create shortcut).

Get back and let us know how it goes.

I have looked at c/program files/internet explorer
    Only one file there called connection wizard but it is empty!!!!
    Is this a bad thing?
    Thanks for the reply.
    guy9663

I've responded to your pm, let us know if it's work out for you. .. Installing through Add/Remove software in Control Panel>Add/Remove Window Components>Internet Explorer.

I've just tried add/remove programs but no good. I have seen on the net sites claiming to offer IE6 as a download. Is this something I should consider? I am worried that I may end up getting more than I want (ie add-ware or spy-ware).
    Thanks guy9663

You should only download IE6 from Microsoft. Check this site out, http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm . Keep us updated on your progress.

I've tried your latest advice but no good. Someone I know seems to think a full install may be needed. I hope not but will let you know how I get on.
    Thanks for your help.
    guy9663

I think your friend may be right. Did you delete IE's .exe file in the beginning, the problems you're having make me think this is the case?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Try this.... go to start menu > click "run" > in "run" box type "iexplore.exe" (no quotes) and hit "OK" > If IE runs then you're just missing some shortcuts somewhere. If you get an error please post back with that error.

Partieā„¢

Have tried ieexplorer in the run box. The prompt said it could not find the program. I checked the spelling but still no good. I have also tried using the repair console. I am resigned to run a full install. Never mind, at least I will have the chance to do some fine tuning and use NTFS rather than FAT 32.
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, your time is much appreciated.
    Regards guy9663.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast