Default Burning a movie to play in all dvd players

Hello,
    I have been searching trying to find instructions on how to burn a movie on a dvd to play in all dvd players, and I am coming up quite confused on exactly how to do this. I need to know what format that I need the movie to be in & what products to use. By the way, I am using Sonic Record Now by Phillips dvd burner. Any help given on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Get rid of sonic now. What you need is dvd shrink to rip the files to your hard drive. Once that step is completed, I suggest using nero express 6 to burn it. Nero has an option on the main menu to make a "dvd-video", and that is what you want. When you choose that, a window will pop up, and then you drag the 'video_ts' file into place, ignore the audio file, its unecessary. Then you name it, choose your burn speed, and burn. You're done. From beginning to end this will take less than an hour with a 2x burn speed. This method will create a dvd that works on a majority of dvd players, but not all. So be sure to check the abilities of your dvd player itself. Enjoy

Thanks for replying to me,
    I have also seen other formats that the movies are in such as mpeg, avi, etc. does formats such as those need to be converted into something else so that the movie can be played in all dvd players? If so, would Nero 6 do the conversion for me as well?
    Thanks

The method I described applies to the backup of your mass produced dvd. The other formats you mentioned are usually made by streaming video into your computer (like a camcorder). You can convert them, but its a real pain and takes forever. The best bet is to buy a dvd player that plays several formats. I have one made by philips ($70) that has played everything I put in it except xvid format- came out all distorted. A player like that wont require file conversions. That being said, there really isnt a way to create a dvd that will definately play on every dvd player made. Good luck

Hey there...

Take a look at this site it helped me out alot...
    http://www.videohelp.com/

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Nice find Jack_0073, and a Canadian site at that!! :wink: