Default Joystick stopped being recognized

Hi,

I have a Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 joystick. It was installed under Windows ME, I then had XP but had problems with it and am now using ME again. After uninstalling XP the device manager says it's either not present, not working properly or doesn't have all the drivers installed (code 10). In the control panel, there's entry for the joystick listed in the game controllers.

I tried reinstalling the software but that didn't change anything. I also tried to update the driver manually from the device manager by using the disc, but it said the driver found is the current one installed. Any ideas what happened or how to fix this?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I take it that this is a USB connection? If so, even if not, unplug and then uninstall drivers. Reboot and check to see that the driver does not appear. If it doesn't, re install driver and then shut down .. now plug in the joystick and reboot. Hopefully it will detect new hardware .. it may ask again for driver (it does this sometimes so follow instructions) hopefully it should be recognized now.

You didn't give us any specifics on your PC (RAM, Pentium? etc), if you want to we can take a look at your XP installation problem, but do need the extra info for this.

Get back and let us know how it goes.

Yes, it is a USB. I uninstalled the driver files and they didn't show up on restart. So, I reinstalled, restarted and plugged the joystick in. When windows started a dialog box came up saying finding new hardware, it recognized the joystick and I had to restart again. Now, I get the same code 10 in device manager.

PC is a Dell dimension 4100, 256mb ram, pentium 3 933mhz, windows me.
    XP problem is that the disc I used was from my old school library so I can't reinstall it.

Forgot to mention, during the installation of the software, after it finished I got a message saying "_ins5576 has caused an error in OLEAUT32.dll. _ins5576 will now close." I hit close but the installation program stayed open and it sayed it finished just fine.

Now that message helps. Take a look at this MS article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272261/EN-US/ , it seems there is a problem between ME and Sidewinder.

A little trouble with the article. First, on the clean boot section, I have 2 grey check boxes. I was wondering, could those be disabled by disabling everything within that section?

Then, on the last section of clean boot it says "If the original issue does not occur after the clean boot..." Does that mean I should run setup again the normal way? Also, could you tell me why running setup from the run box makes it different? Then, it says recheck the entries one at a time, but it doesn't say what to do once I find which one is causing it.

OK, I've been looking at it and figured out why the boxes were greyed and I got them all unchecked and then went through the article. The "Load Environment Variables" seemed to be causing the problem. All the other processes were loaded and the software installed with no error. Then, I was going to figure out which specific entry in the environment section was causing the problem so I checked the environment variables (putting my startup options back to the way I had them before), restarted, tried the software installation again and it worked just fine with no error, without having disabled anything. Now, it installs every time with no error. So, I went back to your first post and tried that again but I still end up with the same problem.

Really drawing a blank here. Take a look at this, I know this is not the error message you're getting, but check out the tips on hook up etc. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216096/EN-US/ .

No luck with that article either. But, I have a question about XP. I have a laptop that has XP and I haven't installed it on this computer because I've heard that it's supposed to do some sort of check and then the internet won't work. Is that right?