Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGP

get it done

Default AGP

hey when a graphics card says it 8X AGP and when i go down some the spec. says 4X/8X support! the card is made by ASUS and i went there and im gertting a ATI 9200SE 128MB DDR but im just posting this just to make sure it will run on my comp.! i bought the card from newegg.com today! thx's and reply

my mother support4X Max

I think the card will function fine but it will only run at 4X, the highest speed your mother board supports. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

ok

Yes, the card should run if it says 4x/8x. The difference between the two is the bandwidth (transfer rate) and the voltage supplied to them. If the card says 4x/8x it should automatically reconfigure itself to use the higher AGP voltage supplied by your motherboard. Generally speaking, AGP is pretty backwards compatible.

thx guys!

Your welcome and thank you DSR17 for the assist
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

hey im sry but have one more question! ok i went into my bios and went to the AGP settings! it has 8X on there and i have to set to 4X. but my motherboard can only support only 4x! why does it have 8x on there? please answer

Do you have the new card? If you have install it. Usually the bus will automatically configure the AGP card, it should change once it is installed. If your BIOS is saying 8x then I guess it supports 8x, dont begrudge that because it double the bandwidth.
    Just install the new card and if it turns on then your good.
    If you think once its working that it isn't up to performance run 3DMark03 and post yor score along with your card spec's. If its still the Radeon 9200SE it will probably be beetween 1000-2000 depending on the rest of your system slightly.

ok thx once i get it i'll post back. but lets sya the card only supports 8X, will it crash my computer by putting it in are will it just not boot to windows? Are there cards out there that only support *x im just wrounding

I think there are cards that only support 8x but most are backwards compatible, only running at the slower speed. You can check your motherboard manual to see exactly what it says.
    If it doesnt work then it is likely nothing will appear on the screen, ie. the green light will stay orange. Most processing chips have secutity feature installed to prevent damage so it will just not run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast