gukey

Default HELP? Various common programs won't install

I am having difficulty installing various common programs on my Dad's PC. I have tried re-downloading install files, and using files from another source (ie install files from another computer which are known to be complete/working). Following is programs/versions and error notices. I'm running WinXp with SP2.

• AVG Free antivirus (avg70free_300a456.exe) - "Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation"
    (same for earlier version of AVG transferred via CD to this computer).

• Adobe Acrobat 7 (from Adobe site) and also version 5 (from other computer) - "corrupt cabinet file!"

• WinAmp 2.81 Lite (from other computer)

• Also cannot use TrendMicro online "House Call" anti-virus scan. It updates engine and pattern file (well, did - it now doesn't), and when I click scan, the HouseCall window pops up and also an error message "Error #102: Unable to read virus pattern file! (-3)"

As this is occuring on multiple programs, and after I've done the recommended thing of re-downloading install files, the only common denominator is this computer and it's current configuration.

Will Windows XP problems ever cease? Please help... ~Luke

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Try downloading these programs from their Internet sites. Chances are that you may have saved older versions, and in the case of Housecalls, it needs to put some cookies (I believe) in before it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    and in the case of Housecalls, it needs to put some cookies (I believe) in before it runs.
    The Trend Micro House Call scanner requires an active X control to run the scan engine, simply either allow the one time installation of the active x control or change your security settings temporally. HTH
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

gukey

Default HELP? Various common programs won't install

Thanks for help guys, but...

Canuck, as I said, I have downloaded and re-downloaded all latest installation files and received same result.

BearNunya, I reduced all security to minimum and re-tried HouseCall... same result.

There has got to be something else blocking installation. As it's happening on multiple common programs, and various versions obtained from various sources, the only common denominator is this computer and its configuration. Any other ideas come to mind?

You could try uninstalling SP2. You may be one of the unfortunates that it causes problems for. You can always reinstall SP2 if its removal doesn't help. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

you could try installing them insafe mode perhaps