igotitdown

Default Running slow....Lots of Processes, Help!

Hello all, currently I have noticed that my computer has been running a little slower than usual, and pictures on websites, etc were taking especially long to load. I then realized when looking in task manager that I have 58 processes running at the moment. So after going into Msconfig and unchecking a few things, I still am having a problem, and am still running an ungodly amount of things at the moment, with no idea why?

I have Windows XP Professional...if theres any other information I can provide you with that you would need to help fix this problem, let me know.

Thank you,
    Molly

The link below should help you.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

The first thing to do is to check if you have any adware or spyware. These can cuase system slowdown. Check out the sticky in the Spyware forum for more info on this but briefly download Spybot Search and Destroy, Lavasoft AdAware SE and Spyblaster.
    Check out Black Vipers process guide here: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm
    You will probably be able to turn off a few using this. Best bet is to start at the top and work your way down your process list and decide if you need each one referring to the guide. If there are any that are not explained google then to try and find out if they are needed.
    Also a lot of processes are left over from previously installed software to go to Control Pannel> Add/Remove programmes and remove all the things you thought you had unistalled previously.
    See how much you can free up doing this.

A disk cleanup to remove tempoary files is also advisable. If your tempoary Internet Files size is big (bigger than 100MB or so) you may want to delete some and reduce the limit. The more is in there the longer it take your computer to search through it everytime you load a web page.
    Also do a disk defragment which will help your hard drive accesing time. These should be done regually, at leat once a month. (I do mine every fortnite). The more often you do then the less time they will take.

Follow these steps and see how it goes.

Sorry. Once again BearNunya has beaten me to the post.

No worries DSR17, the advice you added in your reply was top notch.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

I just found this, might help.
    http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/635

I just found this website. Just type in any listed process that you find in task manager and it will tell you exactly what it does and if and how it should be removed. Very comprehensive. Use it for those processes not covered by black viper etc.
    http://www.processlibrary.com/

I think this is so useful it should go somewhere where everyone can find it.

Hi all.....thank you both so much for your posts, your websites helped a bunch.....I also found this one if you want to keep it for the future, it allows you to page through your processes and the colors say if its optional, safe, or a virus.
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/SWList.asp?pg=1&st=0

I was able to delete about 12-15 processes, but I am still running in the mid-40s, which to me seems way too high. I did a disk cleanup, and nothing came up in my virus scans/spyware/adware. The only thing I haven't done is defraging my computer, so I'll let that run tonight, it has been a couple months since my last one.

If you all have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear em, thanks again, I appreciate it.

-Molly

Mid 40's isnt too bad, it mostly depends on how many processes your firewall and antivirus run. The main key is that you have enough free RAM now. Doing that defrag will help quite a lot if you havent done it for months, really speeds up HDD speed. Oh and for optimum performance you should keep about a third of your HDD space free, dunno if this applies to you though, just a good tip to remember.