Default Slow loading "My Computer"

I have recently purchases a Dell system with Windows Media Edition. Everything worked just fine but lately when I click on My Computer, it takes at least 30 seconds for the Drive icons to show up. In the meantime, all I get is a flashlight icon searching the computer to bring up all the drives. Is there a possible conflict with a program or is there some corrupted file? I hate the thought of re installing the OS if there is a simple fix. I've done spybot , Lavasoft, defrag and scandisk all with a fresh cold reboot. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi,

This isn't a cop-out, I did find the same complaint on the MS site and no-one had an answer .. so we at least know you're not the only one experiencing this problem. I then checked with the Dell site http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor....id=sw_xpmedia , take a look through it, and perhaps post a question there. We have had few inquiries here on the Windows Media Edition, the only thing I remember is that our guru on media said something to the effect that they would have been better off going with Windows XP Home as there is more support for that and it will do most if not all of what WME does.

Perhaps one of our members has had more experience with the program, so stay tuned .. in the meantime I suggest you check out the Dell site.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Just curious, but when you open my computer do you usually have a cd in the drive or a floppy in the drive? Maybe even an external drive (usb cdrom or hdd drive, maybe even a thumbdrive or an external network card) sometimes windows is trying to initialize that device and it may take a bit to "initialize" the device to make sure it's actually there so it knows to show it in "My Computer". This happens especially when you have a scratched CD in the drive because it takes a bit more for WIndows to read it and display it's drive icon because the cd is damaged.

Partieā„¢