Default How do I Reformat and Reinstall windows??

Hi,

I want to get rid of windows and then reinstall it. I do not know how to do this. I have read on here that you need to boot from CD rom. I have tried that and then it goes to a screen that says. Install Windows or Repair. Now, I have tried to repair. But then it asks me for a adminstrative password. Well, when I try to put the password in, it says invalid. So, since for some reason it is not excepting my password or I guess maybe I don't know it, I am not able to even try and repair. The only password that I do know is the one that I use to log into windows. I have NEVER set another password anywhere, so I do not know what is going on.

I have had miscellanous problems with my comp. in the past 2 or 3 months. I just actually posted another message about a new problem with Panda, but as I was waiting for a reply I decided I would just rather erase the OS and start fresh. I am a TOTAL novice when it comes to OS and all that stuff. I have been reading about partitions and stuff...I have no idea what this means.

I need to know in explicit detail exactly what I need to do, from start to finish. Like, put in windows xp disk, restart computer, boot from cd, then what??? What about partions?? What do I click or type or whatever. Will I need to download other stuff once I reinstall windows? Patches or something? I have my motherboard CD also....do I doing something with it as well??? I am just worried about messing up my computer. I do not have the cash to take it to a repair store. So If at all possible I need to do this at home. The problems with panda are almost nearing intolerable and things just seems to be malfunctioning left and right. I have done many scans with many products on my computer. There are no viruses, spyware, adware or malware..... When I do get spyware or adware I erase it as soon as I do a scan. I just need help lol....Can someone call me on the phone and walk me through it LOL.

THANKS FOR YOU HELP!!!

GOD BLESS,
    ASHLEY

It's me again. More questions. I have my Registration code or key or whatever it's called. It's stuck to the top of my computer. Can I use the key again when I reinstall my computer??? Will I have a problem because this is the third time it will be used??

Because, when I first got my computer the hard drive was defective and I had to get a brand new one. So then I had to use the key again. Actually, I didn't do it, a computer guy did and I am still paying him off!!!

I do remember that there was a problem with the key before or something. He said he had to call Microsoft. I sure hope this won't be a problem too.

By the way, here is some info. about my computer:

AMD Athlon 2400+ 2.0 GHZ Processor
    256 MB
    Windows XP SP2
    I am on Comcast High Speed Internet.

Thanks again!

Firstly you must be aware that by formatting the hard disk you will erase all information you had so if your sure this is what you want to do make sure you save all needed files and documents to floppy or CD. All the software you had will also be deleted which you may not be able to get back.

Secondly the CD key may be a factor. Do you have a complete Windows XP CD or a reinstallation CD. The first will be full of holographic logos while the second will only have the manufacturer of your computer on it and no fancy stuff. In order to keep Windows XP you need to activate it, if you have done this before you may have problems. It is possible but you have to talk to microsoft technicians etc. on the phone and convince them you are not installing XP on more than one computer. It has been done but there is no guarentee they will let you.

Regarding partitioning if you wnat the full drive space to be windows use all the space when partioning (this can differ depending on what you use to partition).

Your best bet is to try and fix your computer. Try posting any specific problems on this site as they are easier to fix for us than wide ranging problems that could have many many solutions.

If you want to repair the disk try reading the info here about recovering passwords: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...rd_Recover.asp

I do not recomend a fresh install as it can be very time consuming and taxing if your are a computer novice like you say you are.
    When you have done a fresh install all you get is Windows, nothing else so you need to make sure you have all the disks and product keys you will need.

Hope this helps, post back with what you decide to do.

Hi,

I went to the link about the passwords and here's the thing: I know my password for logging into windows. I log in every day with no problems.

But, when I booted from the Windows XP Disk and it went to the screen where it says Install Windows or Repair. I then hit R for Repair. It took me to a new screen that asked me for the administrative password. I typed it in and it says invalid password. Now, the thing here is. The only password I ever set is the one I use to log into Windows...I don't know why it isn't working....

I am not worried about wiping out my information. I can set up my internet and redownload everything in no time. I really do not have any files that are necessary for keeping on my computer.

You mentioned something about partitions again. The problem is I am still confused when anyone mentions them. I am not 100% sure what they are or how many I need or anything at all about "them."

Is there anyway I can get another key, just in case Microsoft will not let me reactivate it??

I really do want to reformat and reinstall windows. I just need to know how in EXPLICIT detail from start to finish. Please help me.

Also, I forgot, the Windows XP disk that i have is Holographic. Thanks!!

Ok, I not sue if this is always the case but you could try it once more. Try using "owner" without the quotation marks as your administrator password.
    If you do have problems activating windows and installing it I take no responsibility for this. If it does come to this you may have to purchase a new copy of windows. You can get Home Edition for £60 OEM, £90 for Pro.

Firstly, partitions are basically areas of the hard disk. They split up a single drive into more than one that can be read by the operating system. These are used to back up files and dual boot OS's. The operating system will recognise each partition as a different physical drive eg. in My Computer you could have drive C: E: and F:. This can be useful as when you system restore you only have to revert a single partiton to if all your needed files are saved to E: they are not affected.
    For your purposes it is unlikely you will need more than one physical drive so I will explain how to install using only one partition.

I have never reinstalled an OS while one is still on the computer, I allways format the drive using fDisk first. You will probably not need to do this however.

1) Insert the Windows XP CD into the disk drive and when it asks you what you want to do, press enter to Install.

2) Now the Licensing agreement will be show. Agree to this by pressing the rquired key to continue setup.

3) Now here's the partitioning bit. Your existing partitions will be displayed, you should only have one if you only have one logical drive (ie. C. Highlight this partition and delete it (it will say what key press is required above the partition information. When it asks you to confirn the installation again press the required key.

4) Now you must create the new partition that you wish to install windows to. I am taking it that you want to use the entire HDD for your OS so press the required key to create a new partition and enter the maxiumum number possible (this is usually auto detected) and press enter to confirm.

5) Now you must format this fartition to make it usable and install the OS. The XP installation CD does this in one step which although can be quicker, is anoying if you want to do something else.
    Highlight your new partition and press the required key to set up XP on this partition (I think it is enter). You will then be asked which file system you want to use to format the partition. There is no reason if you are only installing one OS not to use NTFS so select "format drive with the NTFS file system" or something similar. Use the [full] option to get the best install.

6) From here the install is pretty automatic, you will be asked at some point to confirm time and date settings etc. but most of these can be changed later. You can also set up your user accounts at the end.

Once the OS has succesfully installed you will be asked to activate windows. Although you can do this straight away I advise not to, making sure everything is up and running fine first. Once the system is running smoothly you can activate windows from an icon in the start menu. If you have problems doing it automatically online you will need to use the provided number to call microsoft.

I hope this covers everthing in enough detail, if I have left anthing out or you have any queries please post again and I wil do my best to answer them.
    Hope everything works out.

Member Help2Go Moderator

I think the problem with the admin password not working for you is because it's asking for the built in admin accounts password which you a. either don't know or b. never setup so it's blank. See when you install Windows, at a certain step it'll ask you for usernames to enter for people that will be using the computer. Any of those people that you list are setup as local computer administrators but what you don't see is that when windows get's installed, it automatically creates an account called "Administrator" which is the built in admin account that the repair console is looking for. What you can do is logon to windows like you normally would (unless you're having problems logging into windows) then go into the control panel and then click the User Accounts icon. After you do so click the "Administrator" username and then on the top left corner of that window click "change password" and then enter the password you wish to have. After doing that restart and try to repair again.

Partie™

Thanks for all of your help! Everything is fixed.

God Bless.