Default My Soundcard Ticks Like A Clock

Hi everyone,

I woke up this morning, turned my computer on, plugged my headphones into the speakers and noticed a tick-tick-tick (sounds almost like static on an old record) that happens about once a second like a clock, unlike "regular" sound card noise that appears in most questions. So I unplugged the speakers from the computer and plugged my headphones into the actual soundcard jack and still get the same noise. It's coming out of only the left side only, so I don't even know where to begin checking for the problems. The ticking is still there when I play music/video, though it usually gets drowned out, but it's just getting on my nerves! Oh, and I tried closing about as many running processes as I could to see if it would make a difference and no, it doesn't. The ticking starts I guess when the drivers are loaded (before XP even boots up entirely). I even tried the Sound Recorder built into windows to see if I could record the ticks but it didn't pick them up. How frustrating!!

Any other specs you need I'd be more than happy to post. Thanks in advance!

Steve

If your sound card is a PCI card you could try removing it, getting rid of any dust and put the card back in. You could also try it in a different slot. Sometimes a bad connection causes cards to malfunction.
    Also try getting the latest drivers from the card manufacturer, not Microsoft.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Have you introduced any new appliance in the house recently, Especially close to the computer?
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.