Default Administrator account

I am running XP Sp2. I am trying to uninstall Zone Alarm Pro. I get thru most of the uninstall but when I click finsih, I get an error message saying that I do not have authority to make these kinds of changes, to log on from an administrators account and try again. Well I am the only user of this pc and there are only 2 user accounts set up. One is Me and the other is Guest. And I am set up as an administrator. A curious note is that I tried to set up an account and name it Administrator and got an error message saying that there was already an account named Administrator try again. Hmmmmm is there a hidden user account? And if so how do I access it.

Thanks for any advice
    Sheila

The built-in Administrator account is hidden from the Welcome screen when a user account with administrator privileges is enabled.
    For XP Home edition you can log in as built-in administrator from Safe Mode only : start up in safe mode by switching the computer on and tapping the F8 key during the boot process, a menu should appear on screen, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and press <Enter>.
    When the Welcome screen appears click on the Administrator icon, no password is required.
    For XP Pro, at the welcome screen press <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Del> twice to switch to the Classic style log-in screen and input your Administrator password.

Thank you. I did what you suggested. Voila, administrator account. However Zone alarm STILL wont let me uninstall. Zone labs must have really made the program indestructable. Oh well I guess Im stuck with it. Although I never use it anymore.
    Again, thank you for your time

Sheila

Have you disabled ZA from running at start up ?
    You probably need to do this before you can uninstall.
    Boot up normally and then press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open Windows Task Manager. Look for Zone Alarm on the Applications tab. If it's there, select (left-click) it then click on the End Task button.
    Try the uninstall, let us know how you get on.

A while ago I disabled Zone Alarm by using the Run MSCONFIG. However I did what you suggested just to make sure it was not there. I also checked the processes tab to make sure it wasn't there either. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thank you very much for your time

Sheila

If you feel comfortable about editting the Windows Registry, I got this from the Zonelabs help forum :
    Click Start > Run , type REGEDIT, click OK.

Read the Regedit Help file and make a back-up copy of the registry before changing anything. The Help file also tells you how to restore the back up should it become necessary.

Navigate to the main ZoneLabs registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs

Right-click on that key and select Permissions.
    Check that SYSTEM account and the account you're trying to uninstall from have both FULL and READ permissions ticked but not SPECIAL.
    Nothing should be ticked in the right hand column under DENY.

Save the changes and re-run the uninstall.

Hope this does the trick !

IT WORKED!!! Thank you so much. I have to admit that I did not make a back up of the registry before I changed the permissions. I know that was risky, but I went to help and read how to make a back up, but I dont have a registry back up program. Could you recommend one? Or is there another way to back up the registry.
    Thank you sooooo much for your help with this

Sheila

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

No special software required for backup. Go to Run>regedit> in left column at the top highlight My computer>then click on File>Export>Select where you want the file saved to>Type in a name for file>at bottom click radio button 'All' in export range>Save and you're done.

Thank you Rad and Canuck. This has been a problem for so long now that I cannot even remember when I first tried to uninstall Zone Alarm. Thanks to you my problem was solved and your instructions were very easy to follow. You have my undying gratitude!!

Sheila