Default VERY slow startup

I have just repaired the os on a friends pc, it came up with an error on startup and would go no further so I used the Windows cd and ran the repair option. All works perfectly well now except whilst starting up. It takes about 5 minutes from switching it on to reaching the point where I can access any kind of programme. In the middle of the startup sequence it just stops for about 30 seconds and does nothing at all, then all of a sudden it will carry on, this happens every time.
    I have stopped anything that is not needed on startup in msconfig and startup in the programmes menu. I've also looked in the task manager for any unecessary bits and pieces, i've run adaware, spybot and have found nothing untoward.
    I realise the pc is very low in spec but it was working much faster than it is now.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The main cause of start up problems is bad drivers or missing file/driver.
    Windows is spending that time trying to find that driver.
    First thing to do is update ALL the drivers for everything in the machine.
    Other causes can include a corrupted sound file ( if sound is used during startup)
    The quickest way to test this is to boot up in safe Mode.
    While there you can run the System File Checker. Click start > Run and type sfc /scannow. have the XP CD handy.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Just tried all you suggested Whooze but no joy, still dont want to startup any faster . Thanks though!