Default appropriate decompressor?

Ok, if anyone's familiar with my question from page 2....I've got an update. I went to My Computer, clicked on Local Disk (C, Program Files, Windows Media Player, and mplayer2. I tried opening one of my problem movie files with the earlier version of media player. I'm prompted with "Unable to download an appropriate decompressor.(Error=80040200). I've tried solving this mylself but, I'm a novice at best. I could use any input at this point....thank you. Downloading Divx player did not help.

StoneO :?:

Hallo Stone0 - Have a look here, it might help. http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10919.aspx
    Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

You might want to check out this article: http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/11303.aspx it suggests you download ffdshow. I am not familiar with this but I believe it is another media player and codec pack. There are also links to various codec packs in this article, maybe one of those will help.

There is also a Microsoft article with information about the error, you might want to read it but it basically says you have to get the appropriate codec from the manufacturer. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;279242 This article does however tell you how to find out what that codec is so I suggest you take those steps and post the results here so we can help you find the codec.

What version of media player are you using as I belive there is more support for 10 now.

Default close..but no cigar

Well, I installed ffdshow and Gspot as suggested with no luck. I keep receiving the prompt "0x00040257:VFW_S_VIDEO_NOT_RENDERED-Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decomprosser could be found". thanks for the idea....i'm not giving up. It does register as a valid AVI file. I don't know what's the difference, but...that's beside the point...lol.

StoneO

Member Help2Go Moderator

Well, as said in teh earlier posts that means you're missing the codec (decompressor or as i said, "Driver") for the file you're trying to play. That is also a DirectShow error, maybe try reinstalling DirectX or try repairing it? Sometimes you'll also get errors if your media player is unable to handle the file format/properties I.E. an MP3 file recorded at 47000 MHZ or something like that.

Don't know if you ever downloaded those 2 programs that I posted in your other thread, 1 of which was from Fuji (think it was the FujiFinePIx thing or somethin') ALso, go to start menu, click "run", and type "dxdiag" to run DirectX diagnostics to see if all is working well in there. Especially with DirectShow.

Partieā„¢

Default Thanks

Well, DiretX showed everything to be ok. Thanks everyone for helping so far. I'm gonna figure this out. How do I install the proper codec once I find it? That part still confuses me.

StoneO

...quick update, I found the mystery codec and all is well!!!! I ended up getting the necessary codec from Pegasus Incorporated. It leaves a slight watermark untill I decide to register, but, none the less....my videos are back. Thank you everyone for your help...

StoneO

Ps....just for curiostity sake, the missing codec was MJPEG

thanks again