Ron58

Default broadband vs. cable?

Hi Everyone -

Simple question: Is having the internet via "cable modem" the same as having "broadband"???

Reason being: I want to get Vonage phone service because our regular phone provider is awful. However their website says: "All you need is a broadband connection and a regular corded or cordless touchtone phone. Vonage provides a free adapter when you sign up for service."

I have a cable modem and get the internet through my local cable company. I'm not sure if cable and broadband are the same thing?

Thanks ahead of time!!!

A cable modem is broadband and it is the best way to get Vonage. Please see the article I wrote here:
    http://www.help2go.com/article221.html
    I have been with Vonage for almost 2 years. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Here is the bottom line.
    A raw new conncection would leave cable running faster.
    The problem with cable though is that a cable running down a street is shared. It has so much bandwidth which is also shared among those connected to that particular cable. The more that connect the less bandwidth for each person.
    ADSL does not suffer from that as you phone line is not shared.
    Also with the coming of ADSL2 and 2+ ADSL speeds can easily reach 28meg which may outstrip cable by a mile.
    Check with your ISP to see if they have plans to convert to ADSL 2 and 2+.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    Here is the bottom line.
    A raw new conncection would leave cable running faster.
    The problem with cable though is that a cable running down a street is shared. It has so much bandwidth which is also shared among those connected to that particular cable. The more that connect the less bandwidth for each person.
    ADSL does not suffer from that as you phone line is not shared.
    Also with the coming of ADSL2 and 2+ ADSL speeds can easily reach 28meg which may outstrip cable by a mile.
    Check with your ISP to see if they have plans to convert to ADSL 2 and 2+.
    Actually that is not quite true, at least not in the UK where ADSL is always sold as a contended service. Most UK ISP's sell ADSL for home users with a 50:1 contention ratio. That means that you could be POTENTIALLY sharing your service with 49 other users. So on a 512K service you could get as low as 51.2K giving you download speeds on a par with dial up. This is all stated in the terms & conditions that few people read. Thankfully it very rarely comes to this as the service is managed in such a way that you basically get a 1:1 or 1:1.5 service, but it is by no means guaranteed. Indeed I have heard of cases where some of the UK's less professional ISP's have contended their service quite heavily, especially at peak times.

I would be interested to know if ADSL is sold uncontended elsewhere in the world.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

It is definately not sold that way in Australia.
    I am not sure where you got your information from but it sounds a bit odd. ADSL just doesn't work like that.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Hi Whoozhe,

I think it is down to the way BT Wholesale manage the telephone network here, because the same rules apply regardless of ISP on any BT IP stream product. The exceptions to BT IP stream are data stream products & local loop unbundling products, but even these services are still contented. See following links:

http://www.getonlinebroadband.com/faqs/faq02.html

http://www.idnet.net/broadband/contentionratio.html

http://www.netsource.ie/html/contentionratio.html