Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking

jespot

Default Overclocking

ok i want to overclock my CPU... but heres the thing. i went into my bios and went to the FSB control and set i got an performance improvement out of my games by just getting my cPU from 1.67GHZ to only 1.70GHZ. i really thought that was'nt going to be an increase but... i was wroung! well when i went back i overclocked it to 1.71 and tryed 1.72 but the 1.72 locked up in windows startup! but 1.71 i weas able to play DOW foir only 5min. r so... before it locked up and i had to go back and set it to 1.70! i have to fans! one blowing out air and one on my CPU heatsink. im buying a fan to go with my computer at the botton of my case! theres a little place for it anyway. well i hope u guys understand what im asking ok. please answer

First things first, you need to know a bit more detail about your hardware specs like RAM timings and multipliers. Download CPU-Z here and run it, don't worry its only small and loads instantly. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download

Once you run it, post some details here so we know what we are dealing with. Set your CPU to stock when running this and posting first because this will give us a starting point. Post these things:
    - CPU multiplier
    - FSB Speed
    - RAM timings
    - Ram speed
    - All three SPD RAM timings
    - CPU:RAM FSB ratio

With this info we can get the best overclock. You will also need to check your BIOS to see if your CPU multiplier is locked or not.

Once you start overclocking you will also need to test your system for stability. Download prime95 here http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm and run the stress test to check for stability, you can check CPU, RAM or both. Both is recomended but you will barely be able to use your PC while this is testing as it uses up about 98% of your RAM so its best to run this overnight.

ok thx i'll do that brb

core speed-1700.2 to 3/ multiplier X 12.5/ FSB 136.0MHZ/ Bus speed 272.0MHZ to .1MHZ/ L1 Data 64 KBytes L1 code 64 KBytes and level 2 256 KBytes L2 Cache: Location On chip/ size 256 KBytes/ Associativity: 16-WAY/ Line size 64 Bytes / Ratio full/ frequency 1700.3/ bus Width 64Bits/ prefeth logic Yes/ AGP wer. 2.0/ Transfer rate 4X/ Aperture size 128 MBytes/ Side band enabled/ AGP max support is 4X/ RAM type DDR-SDRAM/ Size 51MB/ Bank interleave 4-WAY/ timings: Frequency 136.0MHZ/ FSBRAM 1:1/ CAS# latency 2.5 clocks/ RAS# to CAS# delay 3 clocks/ Cycle time (Tras) 6 clocks/

Slot #1 DDR-SDRAM-PC2100 (133MHZ)
    Frequency 100MHZ to 133MHZ
    CAS#Latency 2.0 to 2.5
    RAS# to CAS# 2 to 3
    RAS# precharge 2 to 3 and
    TRAS# 6 to 6 Slot #2 same

Ok, for the best overclock you basically want to achieve the largest FSB as this is the effective speed of your RAM and CPU and how they relate.

First of all, start by incraesing the FSB speed in 5MHz ateps untill windows is unable to load. You will get a message like "incorrect boot device". Once this happens, try increasing the CPU voltage by one step at a time(this will depend on your motherboard) but don't go above the recomended voltage.
    Repeat this process untill windows loads and then run Prime95 on blend for a bit. If there are major errors, it should report this in about 5-15 mins.
    If the errors are due to RAM you could try increasing the RAM voltage but this is unlikely to have a major effect with low grade RAM.

Doing this you will have hopefully found your max RAM speed. Now you need to find your max CPU speed.
    To do this increase the CPU multiplier gradually untill windows can not boot. Then step it off by one or two untill Windows will boot. Now run prime for abit to check for stability again. You could increase the voltage again slightly to try for the highest frequency.

This is the simplest way to overclock an AMD with unlocked multiplier. The other way is to change the CPU:RAM FSB ratio.

While you do this make sure you check that your temperatures are ok all the time as this is one of the main causes for instability.

Let us know how you get on.

ok thx i'll post back in a while

Looking at your RAM timings they are quite good so you will be unlikely to lower them any more. Follow the advise I gave and you should be able to get quite a good overclock.

One extra thing I thought of is your Graphics Apperture size. In your bios somewhere you will be able to set this, make sure it is the size of your cards RAM. This will help you to utilise all the available RAM.

Once you have rached your limit, it is a good idea to run prime95 overnight, for at least 10 hours to check for complete stability. Use the blend stress test.

ok when i set my vcore to 1.825V it stalled and didn't even loaded windows! so i went down to 1.725V it runs fine! i set ramV to 2.6 and i do not understand what CPU ratio is please tell me! o and i got CPU up tp 1.71 but i think i'll try higher

Guest:

There is zero doubt in my mind that DSR17 knows what he is doing, but I must warn, in case you did not know, Overclocking can be fatal to your PC.

Try not to ask to much of this older PC. Anything you do is at your own risk.

Cheers

i trust him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast