Thread: Laptop or not?

Default Laptop or not?

( i put this in the wrong forum - sorry )
    i want a laptop, but i need some advice on whether i need it or not. I want one for the internet, my digital camera work,burning cds, and games. I live at home with my family and i share a very small room with me little brother. I ahev no room for a desktop computer. So does a laptop suit me ?

Also, how do you use the internet on a laptop ?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Nicnac,

A desktop PC is certainly a cheaper way to go, less problems and depending on which make, easier and cheaper to repair down the road. In other words you get a better bang for your buck with a desktop PC.

If you decide to go with a laptop I would steer clear of HP/Compaq and IBM .. Toshiba or Sony would be a good choice and I've heard that Dell laptops aren't too bad. It is certainly well worth the investment to get an extended warranty 3 to 4 years as laptops are prone to overheating problems.

In answer to the Internet question, you'd connect a laptop the same way you'd do for a desktop, you can go wireless connection but need a wireless router (and wireless network adapter if it doesn't come with the laptop). I personally don't like the wireless option as it is certainly slower than being hardwired directly to the cable/dsl modem and you can also lose the signal depending on environmental barriers such as concrete walls etc.

Hope this is of some help, please ask if you want further advice. Stay tuned to your post as others may wish to give their opinions.

I agree with Canuck. If you don't need the portability, desktop is the way to go. However, if space is a real problem, you may need to go laptop. A laptop will have all of the same connections as a desktop, so you can hook it up to the internet the same. It may come with wireless capabilities which you can take advantage of if you have broadband and a wireless router or access point. With a little tweaking, you can get speeds close to wired. Charlie

For the Internet and Burning CD's, a laptop will not be almost as good as a desktop, no noticeable difference. But for games and photo work I would not advise a laptop.
    It is very hard to upgrade a laptop and their components are very limited when it comes to gaming, a desktop is by far the better option.
    If by digital camera work you mean things like using photoshop, a full Pentium 4 like you get in a desktop will be far better at handling the demands of digital editing.
    Having said that, depending on your needs, there are some nice laptops available now but don't expect to be able to keep up to date with them.

A desktop, in my opinion is by far the better option and if your worried about the space, you can get some very small cases now and thin TFT's to minimise space usage.
    It really depends on how demanding of your CPU and graphics you are going to be.

Thanks guys, At the moment i am thinking i will go with a Desktop pc instead of a laptop if i can work out a better space arrangement. As you told me about the brands of laptops, I think the cheapest brand laptop i have seen is a dell. And it as about $1200 or somthing like that.
    I'll let you know how i go !

hey, I just saw a acer laptop in a store catologe for $1256.
    Is acer a good, reliable brand or not ?
    Anyone have any experiance with acer ?

I own a laptop, and I just found out how much better the graphics are for PC games than other systems (weird I just found that out, seriously), and I'm trying to put more memory on my laptop, and its true they are harder to upgrade. So I would recommend to buy a desktop if you are planning to play any games.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

There are two posts going .. same subject .. refer to http://www.help2go.com/postp57030.html . I'll lock this one down.