Default Computer big problem!!

Hi!! i just want to ask for my friend, dont know why.. his computer become so slow, we guess it is not because of space ( cause he has alot of hard drive and ram) when he clicked on Start button it takes at least 10 - 15 second to it to pop up.. i guess something wrong running in his computer so i told him to restart but it still same thing....
    so any suggest what is wrong with his comp.. and how to fix that???
    Thanks so much

The first thing you should do is a disk defragment. This will rearrange your hard disk files for optimum performance.

You should also check for any spyware and viruses if you havent done this recently. Follow steps 1-5 in this article: http://www.help2go.com/article217.html

See if any of this helps then post back here if you are still having problems.

What version of Windows does your friend have installed?
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

he is using Window XP SP2
    To DSR: i told him to run hijack.. but his computer is so slow.. can even run anything....
    what should he do now?

Quote Originally Posted by DSR17
    The first thing you should do is a disk defragment. This will rearrange your hard disk files for optimum performance.
    Has your friend tried the suggestion above from DSR17? If not I would recommend you follow the advice given and if it doesn't help post back and let us know. Also how much ram does your friend have installed in the computer? IMHO Windows XP needs at the very least 256 MB but 512 is optimal. Just my 2 ยข
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

If the defrag won't work in normal mode, try doing it in safe mode. This sometimes helps as there are less active tasks in safe mode so the computer is less busy so tends to freeze less.
    Get into safe mode by holding F8 as the computer starts up untill the boot menu is displayed. Then just select safe mode.

Cheers.

How big the hard drive is is not as important as how much free space does it have. The system needs at least 20% free space to run properly. Any less than that will slow it down. Charlie

Thanks for replying... like i said the space is not the problem... he has more than 2 hard drives.. ( not much to me) and ram is about 1G (not sure but around that). and he said he ran defrag weekly so we dont really know why is it so slow....
    any suggestion?

How much FREE space is on the hard drive that has the operating system. Charlie