Thread: Reset Button

Default Reset Button

Help,

My son pressed the reset button 4 or five times on our pc and now it wont boot into windows. I get the info screen that asks if you want to change the info . Press del to go to set up other wise it goes to the second screen and the cursur blinks at the bottom. I cant type any thing and it wont continue to the win boot screen. Its win xp pro. Any Ideas???

Mike

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Can you get into Safe Mode? As the pc starts its bootup, keep tapping the f8 key, using your arrow buttons select Safe Mode>then Enter key. Hopefully it will open (the icons will look very big and not in the usual places). Go back to the start button and select shutdown>restart. See if this boots up to your normal desktop. If not, you can go back into Safe Mode and do a restore to a date prior to the problem. Get back and let us know how it's going and if you need further help.

What do you mean "reset button" ?

Cheers

Default re:reset button

Ok I tried to get into safe mode by taping the f8 key did'nt work. I tried turing off the power and pulling the battery and leaving the machine off for a few min. still got nothing. Any ideas on how I can get into safe mode or into the windows screem? I'll try anything at this point.

Mike

Do you have the XP installation CD? If you can't get it to boot in safe mode, you can try a repair installation. That will reload the operating system, but leave your files intact. You will need to redownload all windows updates. Very good instructions here
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Charlie