Default **PLS CAN SOMEONE HELP!! Registering New Screen Name W/ AIM

I keep trying to register a new Screen Name for AOL Instant Messenger (I don't like my old one) and I keep getting this error message:

"The Service you are trying to reach is temporarily unavailable - please try your request again - 25002"

I keep trying over and over again at different times of day and the next day and get the same error message. I have shut off all my spyware blocker, NAV, firewall et al, uninstalled and reinstalled the current IM (AIM 5.9) and still get the same message.

I sent AOL a report regarding this but ... still nothing.

Help!!

I have tried to talk to AOHELL tech support but
    have you ever tried to get any help (?) from AOHELL?

It is prime example of why I left AOL years and years ago.

They are not helpful at all. And the techs there do NOT speak english...
    in fact they are based in India and S. Africa

I try to avoid them at all costs, but I have become involved in a charity org and I have to use AIM now so I guess I am SOL, unless someone can help me with this problem. :roll: :twisted:

P.s. I use Win ME, IE 6.0 and connect using SBC Yahoo DSL.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi skw1rl,

I can understand your frustration, but please don't create new posts. If you feel that this post is getting lost in the shuffle, just add your comments or just type 'bump' to bring it to the top of the list. When it comes to AOL, unfortunately we have very few members who are signed up with them, so you have to be patient in getting a response. Is there a Q & A forum with AOL? At least you could check to see if there are similar complaints. Stay tuned, hopefully some one will be able to help.

I will lock your other post, please stay with this one.

Default Q & A forum with AOL

re: "Is there a Q & A forum with AOL?"

I have checked out the AOL Q& A and there is nothing there that helps.

Thanks anyway. And sorry for re-posting another topic.

Here is the page you need, https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/r...%2F0YAAA%3D%3D . If this doesn't work for you, can you use someone else's pc and do the change from there?

Default URL

Hi Canuck,

Thanks, but that didn't work either. I guess I will try to do it at school or the library, if their computers will let me. Oh well.... :cry:
    "Religions are different roads converging to the same point. What does it matter that we take different roads as long as we reach the same goal. In reality there are as many different religions as there are individuals." - Mahatma Gandhi

Default I Got IT!!

I downloaded Trillian and changed my homepage from IWon to Yahoo and got rid of some spyware...

I don't know which one worked but finally .... :lol:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
    "Religions are different roads converging to the same point. What does it matter that we take different roads as long as we reach the same goal. In reality there are as many different religions as there are individuals." - Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for the update, glad you got things working.

Default Service temporarily unavailable - AIM

Hi, I had this same problem. I had just registered 2 screen names (there's no way to check what's available without registering) in looking for the one I really wanted. I couldn't register the third and received the same error message as you for two days.

Then I thought maybe AOL was tracking the Alternate E-mail I entered to limit screen name registrations. So I changed that address to a different one and it worked.

In case anyone else runs into this. Perhaps whatever tracking mechanism was used was deleted by your spyware installation.