Default DEFRAG OR DELETE HARD DRIVE?

One question; a friend told me that to speed up my computer I should defrag the disk, but is it beter to just erase the whole thing and start from scratch? I have an old computer (compared to brand new ones) any help would really go along way. Thankz

Please see the links below before you take such a drastic step such as reformatting the drive. Run Scandisk and then Defrag on the drive and see if this resolves your problem.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/2kscandisk.htm

After running Scandisk defrag the drive while in safe mode. (instructions below)

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

If this doesn't help please follow the instructions in the following link to rid your computer of spyware and malware.

http://www.help2go.com/article217.html
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

There are a number of things you can do to speed up your PC. Reformatting is the last resort unless there were major errors or problems. Basic house cleaning should help, delete any unused programs and data. If you have a large data base, save to disk (you should be doing this anyway) delete from HD data that is not used very much that you can access from CD instead. You should aim for 20% free space on your HD to allow programs to run smoothly. Do a Disc Cleanup and then Defragment (leave defrag to last as deleting programs etc will leave the HD fragmented). Also scan for adware and viruses as part of daily housecleaning. Defragmentation can be done every two weeks or so, not much more than that (there is a school of thought that says too much defragmenting is not good ... why, I can't remember). Finally, you could visit www.pcpitstop.com and run their program, it will give you an idea of where you're running slow and what can be done to get better performance, it may be an idea to run this first and then after to see how performance improves.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

Thank you I've read the article on that spyware adware, and I think I might be infected with that because I just get weird stuff on my pc all the time, pop ups(tons of them) and takes me to sites I've never been on my life or even heard about. I'll do the steps to chek for spyware and adware and I'll let you know what happened. I'm Doing that right now.

Just checking,
    If you "start from scratch", anything you have on your computer that you want to keep will be lost if you only have 1 hard drive disk.
    Regards guy9663

Ok so I did everything on tutorial 217 (except the hijackthis log thing, I got lost doing that but did the rest), and HOLLY CRAP! I think I was infect by every known spyware adwar thingy out there. My computer its considerably faster than just a few hrs ago. So now what? should I still go ahead and defrag the disck... also I went to download.com and looked up software to "repair" my pc, and I'm thinkin of buying the pctools registry mechanic, it supposedly checks to see if anything is wrong with my pc, what do u think? should I get it?

I recommend you forget about any 3rd party registry cleaners. IMHO they can cause more harm than good for the average computer user. Please post your HJT log on the Spyware Help forum and let the experts here read it and offer you advise on what to fix or remove.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Ooops! I already baught it 8O...Did I messed up? ......I got lost with the HJT log, seting it up and runing it I dont get that.

Hi

see below how to download and put h/jack in permanent folder.
    When you have done that, you just as below click on scan and save the logfile it will save to note-pad, you can the copy and paste it in the help2go detective and follow instructons, make sure h/jack is in a permanent folder before you remove Any-thing, also if you have not run ALL the procedures at the link run them if you have then after you copy and paste your log in the detective if it prompt's you to post your log then post your log

HOW to put h/jack in permanent folder below

Go to MY Computer>open C:/ right click>New>Folder and name it HJT or Hijackthis. Then put the hijackthis.exe file in it (You must unzip it if it's zipped) so you have C:\hijackthis\hijackthis.exe.....then run hijackthis by clicking this .exe file -that way you will have backups if you accidentally remove the wrong item ( running from a temporary folder backups can easily get lost)
    Then click on Do a system scan and save a logfile

Help2go detective only remove what it tells you too
    http://www.help2go.com/modules.php?name=HJTDetective

If you post a log please make sure you have followed ALL procedures including Panda and housecall on line virus scans

Regards Stoney