Default Blue Screen Of Death...

Hi.... i feel really stupid right now.. I hope someone can help me with this. Ok. Before my laptop constantly got the blue screen of death error, (as of... two days or so ago.) it would get the blue screen of death error every other time I turned on my computer. I think it said there was something wrong with the winlogon.exe file. So... I ran a program that had a name somewhat like Windows Task Manager Pro or something... I can't tell you the name because I can't access my laptop. Anyway I ran that program and it showed all the running processes and just specs about them - like what they do, etc. So I saw winlogon.exe in the list - and it was pretty high up as far as the program's warning level went.

Ok - before I say what happened after I saw winlogon.exe in the task list, I need to say some things. First, my laptop used to have the blue screen of death error every other time I turned on my laptop - but this was a few months ago. It said then also that there was a problem with the winlogon.exe file. So... I saved my friend's winlogon.exe file to a flash drive and backed up the one I had in my system32 folder - and then replaced the one that I originally had with my friend's winlogon file. For a while, this worked... but I guess not too long ago (probably beginning of this week or late last week) it started getting the Blue Screen of Death every other time I turned on my computer again.

Now... to continue from the end of the first paragraph. Since I had swapped my winlogon.exe file before without trouble (least, I don't remember having trouble swapping the original winlogon.exe with my friend's winlogon.exe) I decided to try swapping it with my friend's winlogon file again - but I had made a backup of his winlogon file too - just in case for the one I was using in the system32 folder, should it be corrupted or something. Anyway it wouldn't let me replace the winlogon file. It said it was in use or something. It's probably because I was running that task manager program I downloaded... because it would be viewing the item.. but anyway since I couldn't replace the winlogon file, I decided to quarentine it. (sorry I probably spelled that wrong) Then, I think I got the blue screen of death - that or my computer wouldn't really respond so I restarted it. I really had hoped to copy the winlogon file to the system32 folder after the one in there was quarentined - but I never got the chance.

Anyway if there's ANY way I can make my computer work again - please tell me how... Thanks

First I'm sorry no one got back to you on the HJT log you had posted here:

http://www.help2go.com/postt12276.html

But logs do get missed from time to time. I have unlocked it that HJT log.

I am sending this post to the spyware forum in hopes that some one can help you.

You did not say so I will ask, can you boot in the safe mode ? Also do you have the Operating system on a disk?

Cheers

Well.. I [i]can boot into safemode - and I've tried everything - and I still get the BSOD. It is because the winlogon.exe file was moved by me - it can't log me on. I just want to know if there's anyway I can restore it... and I can probably get my laptop ghosted... but it'll most definately cost $25 or more so I want to see if I can fix the problem without having to pay a fee.

If you can boot into safe mode, you should get the option to select NO to go to system restore. Try going back to a date before the problem happened. Charlie

ok sorry I meant that I can boot into safe mode all the way up to where the welcome screen is - but then there is the BSOD.

Ok... I used the windows installation cd - the one from dell for my laptop and installed windows again on the C drive - but I didn't format or delete the other operating system under the C drive. Anyway.. the new operating system install thing works... but the old operating system (they're both Windows XP Professional) doesn't work. It looks similar to the blue screen of death but it only shows for half a second.

The new installation works, yeah, but I can't access 90% of the programs that were installed under the previous OS. Like MS Word, dreamweaver, fireworks MX, etc. The blue screen of death comes up after the Boot screen... like where it says Windows XP Professional (with the bar under it with the loading progress.) And then the computer just restarts and does the same thing over and over again. Any ideas on what I can do about the new BSOD?