motown68

Default no audio device detected

Just reinstalled windows XP and cannot get any sound out of my yahoo messenger, windows media player or anything else. It use to work before I reinstalled windows I have downloaded all of the updates. When I go to the control panel to audio it says it does not recognize any audio device. Thanks

What audio device are you using? If you are using integrated audio you may have to turn this on in the BIOS. It should be under the chipset configuration settings or something similar.

Also, what is your computer? Home build, Dell etc. Also the motherboard model would be useful to know.

To check if your system is recognising any audio devices go to Control Panel> System> Hardware tab> Device Manager button. Are there any entries with a Yellow ? by them or a red circle? Expand the Audio Devices section and see what is listed there.

Cheers, Dave.

What motherboard do u have? If MSI u need to go to there site and download the mainboard drivers as windows can't detect onboard sound on some motherboards from MSI! When i reinstalled Windows xp Pro. i had to download my AGP drivers from there cause I had ATI drivers still installed and windows was confrused!

Please post back motown68 for more help!

Cheers, Joe
    Buying, Fixing, Repairing, and searching for hardware is always a good choice for everyone!

Have a compaq presario AMD Athlon XP 2000 + 1.67 ghz, 224 mb of ram Does that help? I am not sure how to find out what kind of motherboard i have. Thanks

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go to the Compaq site and do a search for your model, there will probably be some update downloads for it, including BIOS updates. If your RAM is only 224, you're really pushing the envelope, XP requires a minimum of 250 and preferably 512.

motown68

Default got it

Updated my driver for realtek 97 audio. That did the trick. Thanks for the help guys.