Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Think I've done something stupid (KB891711)

Hi, I'm finally back after a while away and I think I've announced my return by doing something really dumb. OK, I was getting lots of hanging problems and I read the KB891711 post and removed it via Add/Remove. Then I went on to the Windows Update site to reload it but it didn't show up. Err .. how do I load it again please? And what does it do - is it vital?

Thanks

Should Have Known Better Steph :roll:

Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Hiya Bear - thanks for replying. I'd seen this link but I don't get it - when I ran a Windows Update after removing it, WU didn't show any available critical updates. Is it OK to have removed it - or having removed it, will it cause problems to the running of my machine do you think? (I'm a bit worried about logging off because I'd noticed it was running on startup before).

Thanks
    Steph

Hi steph

Did you try re-boot before you went to windows update, try that and scan for up-dates again

Regards Paul

Once you have re-booted, check the start-up list (in MSCONFIG) to see if the update is still there. If it is, it has not been removed fully and MS probably thinks it is still active.

Another reason, if the update is not in the start-up list is that Add/Remove only removed it from the start-up menu, not from the computer. You could try doing a search for the file (make sure you are searching hidden and system files) and delete it manually. I would recommend making a back-up first though, just in case.

Once this is done try Windows update again.

Cheers, Dave.

same thing happened to me too...I was having all kinds of problems and removed it from add remove programs, I then went into windows update and couldn't find it there...it says in startup that it is still there, however I am no longer having any problems so who knows :roll:

Hi Stoney, long time no "speak" Thanks for the tip about rebooting, but WU still doesn't show any available critical updates. I'll remember that for the future though.

DSR17 - you were right - it was still there when I did a search, looks like it only removed it from the start up menu as you said. So do I leave it or remove it - guess we're back to Stoney's original post! Like Dentalgal, the problems I was having have stopped too, at least for the time being - weird. Think I'll leave it as it is and see how things go.

Thanks for all your help everyone

Steph

Hi steph

well i think i got lucky with this update as far as i can now make out it seems to create more probs than it solves, more so with 98se if you want to remove from reg, make sure as DSR17 has said back up your reg first, as far as i can make out it is supposed to run on start up the difference with the new patch is when you use Ctrl+Alt+Delete you do not see it. and it is supposed to work?

BTW when you use Ctrl+Alt+Delete can you see it running in the background now
    and nice to see you back again
    Regards Paul

Hi Paul - thanks, it's nice to be back.

No, when I use Ctrl/Alt/Del it doesn't show. But, I've been wondering - in the link Bear posted it said that uninstalling it removes the entries from the registry and deletes the files from the system but leaves an empty folder on the system. I wonder if the empty folder is being recognised as it still being there? What do you think?

(I've just realised that this rather worryingly sounds as if I know what I'm talking about. I don't. If anyone has any comments on this, words of one syllable please :wink: )

Steph

Hi steph

Well you could take a look, go to>start>find>folders then put in KB891711 , look in my computer and see what it finds.

Think before you try and remove anything would back up your reg

go to start>run> type in regedit>click OK> at the top left you see registry>click on then you will see export registry file>click on that
    then when the window comes up, at the top see save in [you want C:] then in the save in box type regbak then click on save.

To find it right click on start>click on explorer> on the left scroll up until you come to C: click on C:: then take a look in the right scroll and you will see regbak.

If you want to get it back double click on it and it will ask if you want to enter the info in the back up registry

Regards Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast