Default toolbar on desktop has moved

My toolbar -usually at the bottom of the desktop where the clock normally shows- has gone- at the moment I have 1/4 of the screen Gray on the left hand side- and the start button at top left? at the same time this happened all my Icons on the desktop moved position, I fiddled about and now I also have a little box with Desktop written on it and it has duplicated Icons in fact it seems to be a duplicate of the desktop can you help please cheers Jim.
    Do I feel silly I found a previous post of mine on Search - Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 am Post subject: Change to desktop Post #1
    And have now fixed the Toolbar. Moderator please delete this post if you can or need to Cheers Jim

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Jim,

have you tried left click (hold down) in the grey area and drag rt and down towards the bottom of screen, then release left button on mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Hi Jim,

have you tried left click (hold down) in the grey area and drag rt and down towards the bottom of screen, then release left button on mouse?
    Many thanks Canuck I found I had asked this question before and you put it right for me then -I just followed what you said and all is ok many thanks cheers Jim.

To add to Canuck's excellent suggestion..............Once you have the settings exactly as you like them right click the tak bar & choose lock the taskbar. That will lock your settings in.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Hi Bear
    I tried doing as you say to lock the toolbar but cannot find this link does it apply to my W98SE? cheers Jim.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I believe Win 98 SE does have this feature Jim. Go to the grey area as before, this time right click, a window will open and in there you should see Lock the Taskbar .. click on this and a check mark should appear, confirming that this feature is activated.

Hi Jim and All
    I can't find it on mine i run 98SE, unless i have some-thing missing

Paul

Hi all
    It looks like you are right Paul I cant find the 'Lock Toolbar' a consolation is that all my Desktop is as it should be regarding toolbar, so again many thanks folks cheers Jim.