Default Windows Explorer shuts down

When I'm using Windows Explorer or My Computer to view the contents in drive C, it seems to make everything go blank except the desktop wallpaper. Then it all reappears, kinda like a small restart. I have unchecked Automatically search for network folders and printers as I think I've heard about that causing this problem I describe. I also can only run Thunderbird in other accounst. No viruses are detected or Spyware as says Norton, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Microsoft antispyware. Maybe it's time for a reinstall of everything?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Before doing a reinstall, at least try this. It sounds like a damaged xp file. Have you tried running chkdsk /f ? This may correct any damaged files. You may have to reinstall any registry changes if you've made any for windows, but suggest you make a Restore point before going ahead. Start>Run> type in chkdsk /f note the space between k and /. Keep us updated on your progress and stay tuned for others input.

After that error scan it still does the same thing. I am trying to put everything over on another user account, because I have the system to where I want it settings wise. If that account still does things I don't want it to do, such as IE shutting down one me, then I will reinstall. I think it could just be that this user account is just corrupted and needs to be deleted.

Well, good luck then packo007. Let us know how it turns out for you.

I restored my defaults for the the folder options and applied to all folders. That seems to have fixed the problem with the window just shutting down on me. It seems that the program files like to be viewed as tiles. Maybe I can keep this account after all.

Really appreciate you getting back with an update packo007. Hopefully your fix will help others. Thanks