Default Hard Drive Crash?

Hi:

Last night I started my McAfee anti-virus and let it run while I went to bed. When I checked my computer this morning, this script was running over and over.

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (Build 082)
    Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810X PCI
    Fast Ethernet Controller v2.12 (010817)

CLIENT MAC ADDRESS: 00 02 3F 3B FB A7
    GUID: 20F6AA6B-1D36-D611-984B-00023F3BFBA7
    PXE-E53: No Boot Filename Received

PXE-MOF: EXITING PXE ROM

Tried running Rescue Disk I created with Partition Magic, but it stated, “Drive Not Found.” (I realized that about three months ago I combined some drives and re-allotted my free space and did not create a new rescue disk)

Tried running recovery disk from HP that came with the notebook, but it would not run, giving me this error message.

Error Encountered while creating Save to Disk partition.

X:\TOOLS\S2D>

My computer is a HP notebook, Pavilion ZT1270 running WXP Home. I religiously run McAfee AV, Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D.

Does it sound as though my hard drive is toast? Or, maybe just a software problem? Could a virus have the system stuck in a loop that prevents it from booting up?

Any help or advice before trudging down to the local PC Medic with my VISA card would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RabbiRabbit

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Go here http://www.nocrash.com/ncbbs/msgs/3247.shtml . It looks like it could be one of two things, either loose component or a BIOS problem. Keep us updated.

Member Help2Go Moderator

PXE is network boot. Try booting into your BIOS first and then editing your boot options. I'm not sure how the heck that would've changed just by running mcaffee and restarting/turning on the computer but PC's are weird like that sometimes. Just check your BOOT order in BIOS and disable network boot / PXE and change boot order to 1) CDROM 2) Floppy 3) HDD (of course you can change this order to your liking just making sure to get rid of the network boot). After disabling network boot/PXE go into the section of BIOS that checks for new HDD's and see if it's recognizing your hard drive. If it isn't you mgiht have more problems than just network boot enabled. If it recognizes your HDD in BIOS then save the BIOS settings and restart computer.

Partie™

Default Boot Order

Well, after reading your responses and checking out nocrash.com, I was excited 'cause it seemed to definitely be a boot order issue, with the system somehow looking to boot from a LAN. (also, I note that a LOT of people seem to get this error message)

Unfortunately, when I went into the BIOS the boot order was fine (gave no option to disable the network boot though, just place it last) but it shows my Internal Hard Disk as 0MB. So, it's not recognizing it at all. Hopefully, the cable is just not seated properly.

I'll have to do some surgery and see if anything has come loose inside. Oddly, although it's a notebook, I don't lug it around at all ... it just sits on my desk and is rarely, if ever, moved. We'll see.

Thanks for the input.

RR

Laptops tend to get quite warm, this can sometimes effect the contacts of the various components including RAM chips.

Default Dead HD

A trip to the doctor this morning confirmed the worst, my notebook hard drive is now officially part of this nutricious breakfast.

No idea why it decided to croak, but at least all documents are backed up on an external hd. I'll pick up a new one and drop it in. Interestingly, I was going to spring for bigger and better, with an 80G, 5400 rpm, but was advised by the doc that it would cause heat problems and to stick with the 40G 4200. I guessed that battery life would suffer from the larger capacity and could live with that as it stays plugged in 95% of the time, but didn't realize that stepping up the speed would cause that much more heat. Anybody have any comments on this?

Starting with a clean drive will also beg a new topic about partitions and I'll be interested to hear anyone's views on the subject.

Again, thanks for the suggestions for help.

RR

the same problem with computer since last week.
    how did you repair the problem?
    pls tell me : (edit .. it is unwise to post your e-mail address in a public forum)
    thank you!

Post #6 says it all .. the hard drive was replaced.